let my mortification be a lesson...

1crazy_cat_lady
on 11/21/13 1:21 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

When I read the board, everyone seems to be post op or immediately pre op.  I'm sure there must be others like me, in limbo, waiting for the tool that will help turn life around.

Two and a half weeks ago I noticed  the start of an ingrown hair on my mons.  This was not a first time event, usually it swells and drains within a week.  This one however got worse and worse until I thought I would cry every time I walked.  The reasons I never sought medical treatment boil down mostly to embarrassment and shame.  I finally went when the area was draining for 6 days and wasn't getting better.  Now, being 340 makes it hard to even see what was going on; it was a juggling act to hold up my belly with one hand and angle a mirror the other.  What it boils down to is that the infection has spread and become cellulitis.  10 days of oral antibiotics and antibiotic cream.   

I had imagined the looks of horror on the nurses and doctor when they saw my nakedness, fat and bloated.  There was nothing but compassion and professionalism at the urgent care clinic.  I know that there are some real jerks out there in the medical world but untreated infections can be deadly.  I'm glad I went.

HW: 361  CW: 337.8  Goal:  To come off most of my meds

Laura in Texas
on 11/22/13 9:35 pm

Awe. Hugs to you!! I hope you are feeling better now. And kudos to the healthcare professionals who took care of you. We definitely need more compassionate people like them out there.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Mary Gee
on 11/22/13 10:44 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Just wondering what you mean about being "in limbo"?  I just started the "formal" process -- orientation meeting, first evaluation, psych, etc.  Have you started the process yet -- or just at the information gathering stage?   Hope you're out of limbo soon!

Mary

1crazy_cat_lady
on 11/23/13 7:04 am - Winnipeg, Canada

I am on a wait list.  In Canada there are significant wait times for surgery.

mmechose
on 11/24/13 10:26 am - Canada

I'm from Canada too. The first time I spoke to my family doctor about WLS, just to have the first appointment with the surgeon was 5 years of wait. Since then, I moved here in Alberta and it was way faster... but I understand that when we read about the others from the USA we are wondering what's wrong with our case. But when everything is starting it's going really fast and it can be a bit overwhelming :)

tabbyfree
on 11/26/13 1:23 pm - Katy, TX
OMG!!!! I'm so glad you went to get help! I got cellulitis on my inner thigh prior to having surgery...I thought it was a rash from my pantyhose tearing. It was terrible, it had become so bad that I was in the hospital for 3 weeks. They said if it had spread to my blood stream it could have been deadly...thank goodness you're ok!!!!

1crazy_cat_lady
on 11/26/13 8:44 pm - Winnipeg, Canada

Thanks for sharing.  It's good to know I'm not alone and I'm glad you're ok too!

Most Active