Over 50 age and BMI

EmAye
on 2/20/20 6:01 pm

I turned 50 last year (I still can't believe it) and I was also the heaviest weight I've ever been in my life. 335 pounds at 5'4". I have a myriad of health problems due to this and was wanting to connect with anyone with similar struggles. I had a lap band for 15 months about 9 years ago. Due to many complications it had to be removed. I didn't lose weight but I stopped gaining during that period. I now have a WLS consult booked in April to discuss Gastric Bypass, something I've always been afraid of. Gastric Sleeve is not an option for me as advised by my former surgeon due to severe reflux, gastritis and esophagitis issues. I had my genes tested almost two years ago and apparently I have the worst kind for keeping at a healthy weight. I store fat easily, I'm hungry often and rarely feel full. I can't believe I'm here, almost 51 and trapped in my obese body. I regularly see a therapist in relation to these issues, also a physiotherapist because of back pain. Currently seeing a medical team for other health issues too. Like maybe the majority of you I've done every duet under the sun. Paid for every program. Had every kind of meal delivery. I'm an advanced cook and foodie so I know exactly what I should eat and how to prepare it. Is anyone else in a similar place? Has anyone had success with or is planning Gastric Bypass surgery? Especially in your 40's/50's? Thank you ?.

catwoman7
on 2/25/20 8:06 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I had it at age 55 and had great success with it - lost all my excess weight (over 200 lbs). Check the RNY thread - there are a lot of successful folks over there!

EmAye
on 2/26/20 3:17 am

Thanks so much for your reply. Happy for your success too. :)

Most Active