Anyone have revision from proximal to distal gb?

randy S.
on 6/26/11 1:16 am - brooklyn, NY
What have been your experiences? GOOD & BAD please.
Thanks
Cheryl J.
on 8/17/11 3:04 pm
I just had a revision surgery to a distal RNY with Dr. Greenbaum this past Monday. I will let you know how it goes.

Cheryl
randy S.
on 8/17/11 11:48 pm - brooklyn, NY
Hope your recovery goes fast. Plz stay in touch. May i ask why the erny and not ds?
Cheryl J.
on 8/17/11 11:52 pm
Because I didn't want the DS.
randy S.
on 9/6/11 6:55 am - brooklyn, NY
Cheryl how are u feeling after your erny with dr g. A little concerned since we havent heard from u in a while. I hope your doing okay

Randy
Cheryl J.
on 9/6/11 10:15 am
Thanks for asking Randy. I'm recovering well. Just getting back to feeling like myself again. I don't tolerate pain well at all. So I went into the ER twice after surgery. Nothing was wrong, I just can't stand PAIN!

The side effects takes something getting used to. You move your bowels more often like 3 to 4 times a day, and it smells something awful. Plus your bowels are loose. Your gas also stinks!

I'm losing weight nicely. My surgery weight was 207.5lbs and now I'm somewhere between 194-190lbs. I saw Dr. G on August 30th for follow-up nd my weight was 194, I feel like I lost weight since then. So I have lost approximately 15lbs since surgery on August 15th.

Dr. Greenbaum is wonderful, not the best bedside manner, but I felt like I trusted him and I was in good hands. My surgery last for 1hr and a half. Because he did a distal rny, he didnt have to operate on my stomach.

My nursing staff was amazing! They really took good care of me. Anytime I needed something they would walk in my room with a smile. You also have your own room if you are on the Morbid Obesity floor. I believe its the 4th floor.

I have to start doing my vitamin regimen. I have a liquid multi-vit and a liquid calcium by Reviva, and sublingual B-12.

Im supposed to be drinking 4-5 protein shakes a day. I dont know how anyone can drink that much. I barely drink one a day!

Also this is my 3rd surgery. I had the Lap Band done for a revision, but it didnt work for me. He left the band in, but he deflated it. The band gives me some restriction since my stoma is dilated. I didnt want to lose all of my restriction. Im not having anymor eproblems with eating and drinking like I did with the band.

I will keep you posted, and anyone else that is considering this type of surgery.
Suzanne H.
on 9/6/11 5:36 am - Warminster, PA
I am having it done Sept 19th.  Distal because doctor won't do the DS because I had open RNY before so more risky. Says the risks aren't worth the results.  I am very discouraged after reading all the comments on here.  Makes me wonder if anyone *****ally had it done had good or bad results.  I can't stand when people who never had it done have such negative comments.  Some past weight loss surgery patients are just like ex smokers.  It is disheartning.
randy S.
on 9/6/11 6:51 am - brooklyn, NY
Yup i hear what your saying. Have you spoken to any dr greenbaum rny to erny revisiobs? Keep in touch. I hope all goes well for you. Michelle ( vitalady) will tell u the honest truth. She is great and will put your mind at ease.
I dont know alot but i do know you are in very caring hands.

Good Luck
Randy
Suzanne H.
on 9/6/11 11:48 am - Warminster, PA
Thank you.  I sent vitalady a message & I am awaiting her reply.  I see she had excellent results.  Only one other person wrote to me.  She told me not to have the distal & to find someone to do the DS.  This is a lot easier said than done.  I don't want to go through the whole process again & risk getting denied through my insurance.  My surgery is 2 weeks away.  I can't force my doctor to do the DS.  He didn't give me an optoin. I just feel from listening to everyone that I would have better results with the riskier operation.  It would be worth it to me.  I am a fast healer & I have a high tolerance to pain.  I just wish I felt more comfortable.  I feel comfortable with my doctor, just not his choice of operation.  Not sure what to do.
(deactivated member)
on 4/30/12 3:55 am - WA
Hi, I am hoping you are still on this board. I too am thinking a revision from Proximal RNY to distal. Can you tell me about your experiences? Good and Bad. Bowel issues, Malnutrician, weight loss, regain, anything and everything you are willing to tell me please,\
Most Active