HGBA1C postpones surgery?!

None Nope
on 6/24/13 3:24 am
RNY on 07/01/13

Hi All, 

I think it really depends on the surgeon. My A1C was 10.3 on April 9th of this year. I did switch from Lantus twice a day to Novalog 70/30 twice a day at that point. But it has not postponed my surgery. Since starting my liquid diet though my blood sugar have been a lot better.  Like everyone else, I am so done with being a diabetic. It was the main reason I decided to do this in the first place. 

Hope that helps. 

Height: 5'9.5"    HW:   280    SW:   264   CW:  203    GW:   150 

Trisha S.
on 6/28/13 9:06 am - TX
RNY on 12/02/13

When I went to my first appt, they said my A1C had to be lower than 10.0

Dorkgirl_41
on 7/4/13 3:06 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

My first scheduled surgery was canceled due to my A1c being 11.5. Surgeon said I had to bring it down under 10 in order to be rescheduled. That was in April. I had labs drawn a couple weeks ago and it was down to 7.6. I have worked my tail off, made sure I took every dose of insulin (I was lax before because it makes it so much harder to lose weight) and walked, walked walked. We will heal much quicker if our A1c is in control.

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

cleos_mom
on 7/13/13 1:31 pm - phila., PA

my surgeon would only do my surgery when it got under 8, i stayed off of carbs and I did it,i had my RNY 6 years ago, my BS have improved but i am still diabetic n take metformin n Januvia.

I had my surgery 6 years ago lost close to 100 lbs. and i still have to watch all my carbs

good luck to you

Susan

mmona
on 8/1/13 11:19 pm

Me too and will have another test in 3 months after starting metformin.  I was hoping to have surgery in 3 months but now prob not until the new year.   The metformin is making me feel so sick as i just started it this week. 

funkyphillygirl
on 8/2/13 1:01 pm

Some people do experience gastric problems with metformin.  How much are you taking?  If more than 1 pill (500 mg.) per day, it sometimes helps to go slowly until your body accommodates to it.  Talk with your doctor and see if he/she is willing to help you go onto the drug more slowly. 

I had some very strange, undocumented side effects (muscle pain) when I started the drug.  My doctor took me off it (I was insisting that I wanted to continue) for about 10 days to clear my system, and then I went back to one pill once a day after meals for about 2 weeks,  No symptoms.  Then, I went up from there to 2 pills (1000 mg.) for 2 weeks and then another increase.  Before my surgery, I took multiple injection and 2000 mg. metformin - now down to only 1000 mg. per day.  Anyway, sometimes a gradual process makes it easier for the body to adjust to the medicine.  It's very effective.

Best of luck!

Maggie May
on 8/16/13 9:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

It depends on your surgeon. My surgeon admits that he knows little about diabetes and defers to the endocrinologist. If the endo clears you, the surgeon is good with that. All he knows is the best way he can get your a1c down is by doing the surgery,, I'm so sorry your surgeon is giving you a hard time. If he expects you to get your a1c down AND lose weight, he's asking too much. :(

Maggie May 

bucalovsme
on 8/28/13 2:12 am - PA
RNY on 03/13/13

I was at an A1C of 10.0 with a 300 reading on test strip the morning of my surgery.  I am now 6 months post op and am at 6.2 A1C with 45 lbs lost.  I had no issues with healing after surgery...it was truly a life saver for me and will be for you too!!!  Best wishes!!!

Mary Catherine
on 11/13/13 7:12 pm

Ask your doctor if you can try Invokana.  It is a new pill form drug that removes the sugar from your kidneys so that the sugar can not recirculate in your body.  It is brand new and expensive, but seems to be work better than the other drugs out there now.

Good side effects are lower blood pressure and weight loss.  Bad side effect is risk of yeast infection.  I started it a week ago and seeing much improved sugar readings.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 164 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 492 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 835 views