Recent Posts

mangoo
on 10/30/18 6:15 am - NY
Topic: RE: Why is it so hard losing weight being a diabetic?!

A diabetes diet structured with three or more small meals daily is better than a diet plan that includes only one or two big meals. Large meals can cause blood sugar levels to surge, while eating smaller meals more frequently will help keep glucose levels lower after eating. Plus, a diabetes diet consisting of mini-meals spread through the day will help control hunger and calorie intake, possibly leading to faster weight loss.

Did you try to eat small portions but on a regular basis?

danmarc
on 10/29/18 7:50 am

Despite your concerns, you still look fabulous. I think attitude has a big role in it. You have a positive mindset and that will be your strength along the way.

ginabob1
on 9/4/18 4:46 pm - Modesto, CA
Topic: Need Help and Information

I had my RNY in 2008 and my Diabetes was never resolved and I had gotten my A1C down to 6.8. My worked changed insurance to kaiser who took me off my bydureon and all oral medication and put me on insulin. My A1c shot up to 9.8. Before Kaiser I had almost got down to my ideal weight. after Kaiser taking me off my meds and starting Insulin I shot back up to 234 (started at 290 and lowest weight was 165). My insurance changed again and I went back on my previous bydureon and a couple of meds and my a1c fell to 7.8 so my doctor kept adding until I am taking 5 oral medications and 2 injectables (1 weekly & insulin nightly) this has gotten my A1c down to 6.8 and my weight it down to 190, however my liver enzymes test are coming back really High (AST 212) ALT (311) and I was just released from the hospital with acute pancreatitis and a partial small intestine obstruction.I am feeling really defeated.

My question is, is there a diabetic doctor (IN California ) that specializes with patients who have had the RYN

I feel that my body is not metabolizing the medications properly and my doctor keeps adding meds that are starting to effect my liver. I am an RNY patient who is taking 7 different Medications.

Is there anyone out there with a similar experience? If so what was done to help

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/18 5:05 am
Topic: RE: Taking a stand against Diabetes

Maintaining and monitoring the BG is vital. Having a good anti-diabetic foods and practicing regular exercise play a vital role. We should know all about blood sugar levels - the ranges which help to identify the risks.

JustMe1960
on 6/24/18 6:32 pm - Cleveland, OH

I hear ya; I'm in the same boat. I've managed to bring down my H1AC to 7.1, only to have it shoot up again to 9.0 six months later. And that's with a change in diet and exercise everyday (at least 40 minutes of walking). My insurance company (Medical Mutual) is all for me having bariatric surgery, which makes me think that it would be a big benefit for my health. Insurance companies normally don't like parting with their cash, you know? But I'm still so torn about it all. The surgery seems so drastic, and the lifestyle change so enormous that I'm not sure if I can do it. Plus, all the potential complications. I don't know, it's just hard right now to figure this all out. Are you thinking about having the surgery?

MichelleS61
on 6/5/18 6:37 am - Lindsay, Canada
RNY on 02/26/18
Topic: RE: Type Two and Complications

I'm a type 2 and am still taking insulin 3 months out I'm down to 8-10 units with meals and 10 units Long acting at night plus metformin, I've had diabetes for 15 years. My A1C at one month post op was down to 6.0 and will be getting tested again, I'd reached the point where I was up to 40 units with meals and 50 units at night, so it's a big improvement, research shows that if you are 10+ year after diagnosis remission is less likely, but I'm still hoping.

Although my A1C's were pretty good usually around 6.5 to 7.0 the increasing amounts of insulin to keep it there were one of my major catalysts for having WLS. I know I'm getting healthier as my weight goes down, but know now I might still have to take all my meds.

57 - 6'0" - HW:288 SW:260 CW:197

TWH: Referral Aug. '16, Orientation - Nov. 30 '16, Surgeon Oct. 6 '17, Start Optifast Feb. 5'18 - Surgery Feb. 26'18

Opti -25; M1 -23; M2 -17; M3 -7; M4 -5; M5 -5; M6 -6; M7 -0 ; M8 - ?

Melsbells
on 6/4/18 5:34 pm

Just seeing this. I had VSG surgery on 3-14-18. In the hospital I had to have a couple shots of insulin and about 5 days after I went home I had a small shot of maybe 5 units. Since then i have had ZERO shots, no metformin. I took an at home a1c test and it was 5.4 which is in the normal range. It hasn't been easy but the whole process has been a very positive experience.

I had been taking 5 shots a day for over 7 years. It is a weird thing to me still...not taking the shots. I am so thankful though and I know i'm also very lucky!

Sunshine16
on 4/25/18 2:20 pm

Hey lady, sorry for the lack of response. But what decision did you make? I have PCOS, with diabetics side effects that sometimes turn into full blown. It sucks, question is your cycle heavy or rough?

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

Tatblessed
on 4/4/18 10:22 am
VSG on 01/25/18
Topic: RE: What was your a1c before WLS?

My A1c was 14 yes it was really high but they still allowed me to have the surgery and I almost lost my life because of it a week after surgery I went into DKA

Tatblessed
on 4/4/18 10:15 am
VSG on 01/25/18

Hello I'm 4 months post op and I still have diabetes my sugars are well controlled though I'm hoping soon I'll be free of it may I ask if you still have diabetes? And how long it took you to not have it?

Most Active
Recent Topics