Duodenal Switch: Long-Term Results.

Anne S.
on 4/16/08 12:36 pm, edited 4/16/08 12:54 pm
Hi all, I went looking around pubmed today, and this is what I found. Pretty good news for the DS and DSers. Enjoy! From pubmed:
1: Obes Surg. 2008 Mar 12 [Epub ahead of print]

Duodenal Switch: Long-Term Results.

Marceau P, Biron S, Hould FS, Lebel S, Marceau S, Lescelleur O, Biertho L, Simard S.

Department of Surgery, Laval University, Laval Hospital, Québec, Canada, [email protected].

BACKGROUND: This report summarizes our 15-year experience with duodenal switch (DS) as a primary procedure on 1,423 patients from 1992 to 2005.  METHODS: Within the last 2 years, follow-up of these patients, including clinical biochemistry evaluation by us or by their local physician is 97%.  RESULTS: Survival rate was 92% after DS.  The risk of death (Excess Hazard Ratio (EHR)) was 1.2, almost that of the general population.  After a mean of 7.3 years (range 2-15), 92% of patients with an initial BMI 50 obtained a BMI ;< 40.  Diabetes was cured (i.e. medication was discontinued) in 92% and medication decreased in the others. The use of the CPAP apparatus was discontinued in 90%, medication for asthma was decreased in 88%, and the prevalence of a cardiac risk index >5 was decreased by 86%.  Patients' satisfaction in regard to weight loss was graded 3.6 on a basis of 5, and 95% of patients were satisfied with the overall results.  Operative mortality was 1% which is comparable with gastric bypass surgery.  The need for revision for malnutrition was rare (0.7%) and total reversal was exceptional (0.2%).  Failure to lose >25% of initial excess weight was 1.3%.  Revision for failure to lose sufficient weight was needed in only 1.5%.  Severe anemia, deficiency in vitamins or bone damage were exceptional, easily treatable, preventable and no permanent damage was documented.  CONCLUSION: In the long term, DS was very efficient in terms of cure rate for morbid obesity and its comorbidities. In terms of risk/benefit, DS was very sucessful with an appropriate system of follow-up.

Learning about the DS? An excellent resource is www.dsfacts.com
For scientific studies about the DS and more, "friend" me, and then click on my profile. Best of luck on your journey.

KRWaters
on 4/16/08 12:53 pm - Manteca, CA
Just curious, this was written by docs in Quebec, Canada, so don't more docs or any docs do the DS in CAnada as our Canadian neighbors all go to Michigan for their DS? Just a weird observation.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Anne S.
on 4/16/08 12:57 pm
Is Quebec near Michigan?
KRWaters
on 4/16/08 4:19 pm - Manteca, CA
Canada is just across the border from Michigan. Now Quebec is a ways up there though. Yeah I guess it is further than I remember. I know Montreal is about 12 hours from Detroit (had relatives there).

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

Vicki PNW
on 4/17/08 4:24 am
Quebec borders New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine.  Like Karen said, it's quite a ways away from Michigan.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

BuckeyeSylvia
on 4/16/08 1:13 pm - Small Town, OH
Canadian doctors can do research just as easy as American ones.  This article doesn't specify that the writers performed the surgery.  I can do research here in Ohio on DS surgeries performed in CA.  Location is irrelevant in research unless it is specified as an extraneous variable.

HW/SW/CW/GW    231/225/123/130-125
~Surgeon's Goal of Normal BMI reached at 6 months Post Op~
~Personal Goal Range achieved at less than 10 months Post Op~

KRWaters
on 4/16/08 4:20 pm - Manteca, CA
Okay Sylvia, I understand what you are saying. It is just that those docs thre write articles, you would think one here or there would actually perform the surgery they ar writing about.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

Nicolle
on 4/16/08 1:20 pm
I understand that these docs actually did these DS surgeries--they are not merely reseachers. And, Quebec is an entity of its own when it comes to healthcare, so that's why Canadians from other provences come to the US for their sugeries. Plus, the wait for healthcare in Canada is really LONG, from what I understand. Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

Carol J.
on 4/16/08 1:29 pm - Barrie, Canada
There are docs who do the DS in Quebec (a handful) but Quebec has its own medical insurance and Ontario has its own. As a result, priority is given to Quebec patients, which makes the waiting list impracticable for Ontario patients. There are currently no DS docs in Ontario so our medical insurer sends us to Michigan instead.

I
LOVE My DS!
5'10"   272/140/132-167 (SW/CW/GW)       
Starting BMI - 40  Current BMI - 20
KRWaters
on 4/16/08 4:22 pm - Manteca, CA
I understand now, thank you for enlightening me.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

Most Active
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 4 replies · 405 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1315 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1450 views