Vitamin D Very Low

JennType1
on 11/25/08 6:15 am - Middle of, TN
So I'm confused. The NP in your surgeon's office didn't know that you need dry D? That seems . . . odd. Or maybe I misread.

Jenn
Type 1 diabetic, 26 years
With great power (the DS!) comes great responsibility.

Vicki PNW
on 11/25/08 4:09 pm

Jenn, you read my OP correctly.  I don't think that the NP understands the requirements of the dry vitamins due to the malabsorptive properties of our DS plumbing.

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Jenn W.
on 11/28/08 2:03 am - Hudson, OH

This EXACT situation happened to me last month! My PCP who knows all about my DS and follows another DS post op prescribed the oil based 50k vitamin D for me.... I had the same situation at my pharmacy. Basically the same conversation.... I ended up ordering vitalady's 50k vitamin D and I'm taking it 2X daily (most days) because my D level was a whopping 7.
I need to get my D re-tested soon to see if my mega-dosing has worked.
Isn't it shocking how out of sync the doc's are about the malabsorption thing? I like my pcp (a lot) but was pretty surprised that he had no idea if the D he prescribed was dry, and that he didn't seem concerned with it.
Strange..... vitamins are not their thing I suppose.
Jenn

MajorMom
on 11/25/08 6:28 am - VA
Vicki, the same thing happened to me. Dr Elariny's PA prescribed the oil-based crap but I went to VitaLady and started taking her 50k capsules 2 times a day for 30 days; back to 1 - 50k for 30 days, tested...back and forth like that until at 1 year I was at 116 on my labs. Dr Elariny is ecstatic and has told me to follow VitaLady advice on vitamins! WOOT!
Gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Vicki PNW
on 11/25/08 4:12 pm
Gina, great to read of your success with the 50K Vitamin D!
Thanks for posting!

Vicki

DS (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney. Cholecystectomy (lap) with Dr. Clifford Deveney 19 months post-op.

Has not weighed myself since 1/2010.  Letting my clothes gauge my progress instead.

Beam me up Scottie
on 11/25/08 8:38 am
The Vitalady Tender Iron is the same as the Biotech...she has them relabeled by biotech for her use....and for us to get a discount. (it's a couple of dollars cheaper).

I take 100K a day, and have done so for the last year or so.

Scott
Vicki PNW
on 11/25/08 4:14 pm
Scott, I am also the type who buys store or generic brand of the national brand.  I will be buying Vitalady's brand when I order when I get home from my Thanksgiving holiday.
Hope your Vitamin D levels are within the standard range in the past year or so.
Thanks for posting!

Vicki

Julie R.
on 11/25/08 10:29 am - Ludington, MI
Yup - that's oil form, and not only my DS surgeon, but my endocrinologist as well ordered it for me!!!   They just don't get it.    As an individual who has developed full-blown osteoporosis as a result of walking around with a low-D level for way too long, and who followed her surgeon's advice about taking D, GET YOURSELF ON 100 k IU A DAY IMMEDIATELY!  If your D is a 15 at only six months out, it's likely going to tank big-time at one year to eighteen months.    Upping my D from 50 k a day to 100 k a day only brought my D from a 24 to a 25.   Mine was at an all-time low of eight before I started taking 50 k IU.  I'm now taking at least 150 k IU a day.   I'm taking 150 k IU a day of dry, 150 k IU a day of the gel caps (just because they are only $5 for the prescription, and I know I'm absorbing about 18% of the D in them) plus the D I'm getting (if any) from my 5,000 mg of calcium a day.   Do this now, before your PTH skyrockets and your serum calcium level drops.    A low serum calcium level means it's almost too little too late....by then, you've likely got some significant bone loss going on.  Good luck
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Vicki PNW
on 11/25/08 4:27 pm
Julie, you're right that not many medical personnel "get it" with our Vitamin D requirements.  I am glad that the Vitamin D was drawn; otherwise, I would not have known that I have a very serious deficiency.
I will be ordering the 50K when I get home from my Thanksgiving holiday later this week.
Thanks for posting!

Vicki

Valerie G.
on 11/25/08 8:42 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
The NP, not knowing much about dry D, also isn't aware of how aggressive you need to be.  I got as low as 13, and it wasn't until I was taking 50k of dry D daily that my numbers stopped tanking and started moving up.  Trust me, I tried all kinds of levels for a year and only tanked further and it's taken me that long to bring them up to close to normal.  Don't waste any time with this.  Try it daily and retest in a few months.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 325 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 783 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 261 views