Breast milk in DS patients

(deactivated member)
on 3/30/11 12:28 am
I don't know the answer but I would have it tested.

There are some post-op moms over on www.duodenalswitch.com that had some problems with their breast milk not having enough fat in it and some other issues.  A few of them supplemented with formula.

Good luck!

Michele
Helen C.
on 3/30/11 12:31 am - Wisconsin Rapids, WI
Another option for you if you are concerned about your milk being enough but you don't want to bottle feed formula right away for fear of harming your milk supply even more is to use a supplemental feeding system. It is a small "pouch" like device that you fill with formula and it has a longish thin tube that you "tape" to your breast so that it goes in babies mouth while baby is nursing and they get the formula along with the breast milk from you.

But the most important thing to remember is not to beat yourself up if your breast milk is not enough for your little one. Formula is not poison and don't let anyone make you feel bad if you do end up having to use it.

I had both my girls pre-DS and struggled with breastfeeding with both of them. With my oldest my struggle with breastfeeding led me down a very dark path of postpartum depression. With my second it took me taking a ton of herbs in order to get my supply up enough to where I could pump enough milk to feed her 100% breast milk. She was a preemie and had latch issues because of being a preemie. I ended up pumping for her every three hours around the clock for nearly 15 months. I pumped up until the morning of my DS.

{{{{{HUGS}}}} Don't stress too much and know there are options to help in the event you need a little boost to your own milk.

P. Poster
on 3/30/11 12:56 am
 I would increase fat, protein & complex carbs and start on "More Milk Plus" supplements asap.  The More Milk Plus is even used by women that have adopted children to stimulate milk supply without the natural hormones.  It is AWESOME.  I would also have your milk tested, and ensure your blood vitamin levels are optimal too.  I would also get hooked in with a great lactation consultant, as while BFing is "natural" it certainly doesn't come naturally.  They can also help get you set up with pumping to increase supply, MAY be able to test your milk, and will be a great guide as to how much milk baby is actually getting per session, ect.  
jandbmama
on 3/30/11 1:09 am - Frederick, MD
<<**Thread Hijack**>>
Hey ******!   How was date night?   Were you and DH able to burn up the town?
Becky
P. Poster
on 3/30/11 3:27 am
 Date night was awesome, thanks!  We went to Fogo de Chao and Fur nightclub and danced the night away.  WONDERFUL time!
metamorphosis007
on 3/30/11 3:26 am
 My pediatrician had us supplement with organic D drops from whole foods, because of the severity of my D deficiency. I was also low in other areas on my labs, but that didn't seem to be of any concern. He stressed the importance of giving my daughter D, however. 
You gotta love livin', baby, 'cause dyin' is a pain in the ass.---Frank Sinatra
geberika
on 3/30/11 7:40 am
 Yeah, I'm breastfeeding after my DS. My baby isn't gaining as well as my first four kids did, and I can tell by her stools that it isn't the typical breastmilk poop (seedy/curdy yellow, you know?) I would never give formula (ITA that it's substandard and disgusting) but I do use some donor milk sometimes. 

I would test your milk per se, but I would get your baby weighed regularly to make sure he or she is gaining appropriately -- minimum recommended after he or she gets back up to birthweight is 4oz per week. My baby gains 3-3.5oz per week on my milk alone. 

Erika - DS in 2008 - SW 162, LW 131 (2009), CW 160

newyorkbitch
on 6/19/11 11:42 am
Your baby is not gaining the minimum recommended but you're not supplementing? 
geberika
on 6/19/11 12:24 pm
As I wrote before, I was giving her donor breastmilk -- since I wrote that response I've been giving her donor breastmilk in bottles 3x/day and she has gained like crazy. I've been working with a lactation consultant. Now my baby is starting to eat solids and I'm hoping that eventually I can nurse exclusively again.

Erika - DS in 2008 - SW 162, LW 131 (2009), CW 160

kat08
on 3/30/11 9:38 am - Matthews, NC
I don't think there are adequate studies (if any) done on post WLS patients and breastmilk composition.  DO breastfeed.  DO have your milk tested and DO have regular weight check-ups for your newborn.  Remember, though, that weight gain issues are not always related to breast milk composition issues.  It can be due to improper latch, improper transfer of milk, etc...so don't immediately blame it on your DS if there are issues.  Also remember that, if there are issues an you have to supplement with formula, some breastmilk is better than none.  Breastmilk has soooo many benefits (as does breastfeeding,) the best being the antibodies that your baby will get from you.  This does not just happen in the beginning, it continues as long as you breastfeed.  So, even if you have to supplement, breastfeeding will not be a wasted effort.  

Another thing to look into is a milk share or milk bank in your area.  If you have to supplement, you could possibly use donor milk rather than formula. 

I am a bit of a "lactivist" but not a scary, Nazi kind. ;)  If you need any help, feel free to PM me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 353 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 811 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views