NSAID patch...

AllieInOntario
on 6/12/11 1:37 am
Came across this while researching.  What's particularly interesting is the indication that it effects the stomach far less.

Anyone from the UK/Europe or the US used this for menstrual cramps?

http://www.nsaids.info/nsaids/nsaid-analgesic-patch/

Quoting:

NSAID Analgesic Patch

The latest research on NSAID (non-steriodal anti-inflammatory drug) analgesic patches finds this form of pain control (analgesic) to be safer and more convenient than NSAIDs in oral forms. In a recently published study, patients with rheumatism received either a flurbiprofen NSAID analgesic patch or dicolfenac NSAID tablets. The patches were designed to be replaced only every 12 hours.

One week after the treatments, 92% of the NSAID analgesic patch patients had improved, compared to 73% of the tablet-treated overall . There was significantly less pain and less tenderness at the site of the rheumatism, and an overall more mild condition in the NSAID analgesic patch treated group. The patients who used the NSAID analgesic patch also had less pain when moving. Only 2 patients in the NSAID analgesic patch group needed to supplement their pain control with acetaminophen, compared to the 8 patients in tablet group.

The patients really liked the NSAID analgesic patch, seeing it as much more convenient. Given that there were hardly any adverse effects (only 9 had mildly irritated skin with the NSAID analgesic patch), it is easy to understand why patients were so satisfied with the NSAID analgesic patch .

Usually stomach bleeding and increased acidity occur with NSAIDs. However, these grave side effects were avoided in the NSAID analgesic patch treated group. It was expected that there would be few gastrointestinal effects since the NSAID was delivered directly to the skin.

The side effects that do occur with the NSAID analgesic patch are itching (5%), swelling where the patch was applied (2%), stomach upset (3%), and taste changing (2%). Patients who are normally allergic to NSAIDs, such as aspirin, may not use the NSAID analgesic patch either.

The NSAID analgesic patch is available in Europe as the Flector Patch. This NSAID analgesic patch contains diclofenac epolamine, and has just been approved for sale in the US as well. The FDA has allowed this prescription NSAID analgesic patch to be used for acute pain, the kind that occurs with sprains and muscle pulls. The Flector Patch is on the market in 39 countries overseas and will be sold by Alpharma Inc. in the U.S.

The Flector Patch is currently manufactured as a 4.5 by 5 inch adhesive felt, covered with a plastic liner, coated with 180 mg of diclofenac epolamine (1.3% epolamine salt). The liner of the NSAID analgesic patch has been especially developed to release the painkiller continuously for 12 hours. The NSAID analgesic patch only has to applied to the area of pain, and very little NSAID will leak into the body, minimizing the side effects on the stomach, liver, and kidneys.

The NSAID analgesic patch may be used on the site of a bruise, sprain or strain. A strain is when a muscle or tendon is pulled beyond its limit, resulting in long-standing pain. A sprain is the same thing happening to a ligament. The NSAID analgesic patch should be used on intact skin only. So use of the patch on areas of cuts or surgeries is not advised.

KarenFlorida
on 6/12/11 3:07 am - Orlando, FL
We have those Flector patches in the US as well, but I have no experience with them. They are basd on Voltaren/ Diclofenac which is a common oral NSAID. Mostly, I'm on here to tell you that I'll email you "full details" of surgery within the next few days. Everything went great!
Karen
AllieInOntario
on 6/12/11 5:45 am
Thanks Karen :)
SweetnessandGrace
on 6/12/11 11:54 am - ID
Hi Allie!  I use the Flector patch for rheumatoid arthritis and find it very effective.  It also comes in a gel form which also works well, but is not as long lasting.  Wish I could tell you if it works for cramps, but the first best thing I ever did for myself was get a hysterectomy at age 49 (the second best thing was my DS). 

HEAVEN IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU GO TO MEET ALL THE DOGS YOU HAVE LOVED.

KarenFlorida
on 6/12/11 1:01 pm - Orlando, FL
She has surgery coming up in a week though, so it might be too risky if the medication is absorbed in any quantity. Sorry you're hurting!
Karen
KarenFlorida
on 6/12/11 1:31 pm - Orlando, FL
Hey sweetness! I have a question for you, though, about Flector patch. For your RA, do you apply the patch anywhere, and it covers total body, or is it localized to one area, like the gel?
Karen
AllieInOntario
on 6/12/11 9:43 pm
Sweetness - trust me,... if I could talk Dr G into doing a hysterectomy too ... I would have it done in a second.  Useless, needless thing to be having at our age :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views