FML

elixir
on 6/15/11 2:41 am - MI
I do not love my DS. I do not have any cute little anecdotal stories or epiphanies to share.    I hurt, I'm uncomfortable and moody. My daughter asked me if there was anything she could get me and I told her I would love a sledgehammer. Or a push down the stairs.   Yes, I know this too shall pass. The pain will subside. The nausea will go away. But that's little comfort right now.    I'm sick to death of protein cappuccino, protein soup, protein gelatin. I want Arby's roast beef and I want it right damn now. (I have no idea why that is the food I've been obsessing about, it just is. Damn commercials.)    Oh, and as of yesterday I've finally started passing gas and pooing. And while I knew it would be bad (everyones gas and poo is bad, right?), there is no way you can be prepared for the stench that will come from within your body. It's like a burst sewer pipe in the middle of August.    I do not love pain. I do not love discomfort. I do not love poo/gas.    The DS is not my friend. Yet. 
 I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Chad M.
on 6/15/11 2:53 am - Indianapolis, IN
Sounds perfectly normal! Yes, it sucks right now. Believe me, it will get better!

I remember being tired of eating goo and sludge too. I wanted a cheesesteak hoagie. I have no idea what I would have done with one if I got my hands on one, but I wanted one!

Those first BM's are something else. The smell won't always be quite that bad, in my experience at least.

Bottom line, you're not supposed to love your DS yet. Just get through this part. The tough times last days, weeks, maybe a few months. The other changes, the good ones, the reasons you did this, will last for the rest of your life.

Hang in there!
elixir
on 6/15/11 11:38 am - MI
OK, so now instead of Arby's roast beef I'll be obsessing about a Philly cheesesteak sandwich. Not helpful. LOL.

I know that in the long run I'll be glad I did this, but right now I ache too much to foresee that far into the future. I'm taking it one day at a time though, which is all I can do.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

Sheanie
on 6/15/11 2:56 am
OMG, I coulda written your letter that early out.  Wait, I think I did!  It gets better, little by little, and not fast, but it does get better.  Your relationship with food doesn't go away.  You might mourn the way you used to be able to eat, that's normal to feel sad.  Feel it, revel in the feeling, roll around in your misery, then move on.  It's okay to be pissed that you can't eat Arby's right now.  That was one of my early cravings, too!  It's the GD commercials, I swear.

The "packet diet" from GHP is a distant memory for me, but it's still vivid.  Are you taking your Prilosec as prescribed?  If you read the label, it says to take it FIRST THING in the AM with just a sip, then WAIT 20 minutes before eating/drinking anything else.  This allows it time to start working.  Otherwise, you're wasting the Prilosec.  And the Prilosec prescription might have to be refilled if you still have stomach pain after 8 weeks.  Mine did.  If you think about it, your stomach is a one trick pony.  It only has one way to complain, and that's by cramping up, which actually translates into NAUSEA.  So your stomach is pissed off, and its cramping up because it's got a line of staples in it, and 85% of it is now gone.  Amen.  Take your Prilosec, girlfriend.

Oh My Dear Sweet Baby Jesus, you are still so early out.  Be patient with your body, let it heal.  This is major surgery.  You only get the one chance to heal, so do it right.  Lay low, let others fend for themselves.  I don't think I put my bra back on for several months, because it pressed on my sleeve.

Try liquid Tylenol instead of the narcotics.  It was better for me.  When I was where you are at right now, I thought I was gonna die.  Sincerely.  You are lucky you had Kemmeter, because he does bigger sleeves than Foote.  So count your blessings there.  I guess it could be worse, huh?

The more fluids I got in, the happier my mood was.  Take your drink with you everywhere.  I still do even now.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

elixir
on 6/15/11 11:40 am - MI
I didn't know I was suposed to take the Prilosec first thing in the morning. I'll put it on my nightstand and start tomorrow morn! 

beemerbeeper
on 6/15/11 3:06 am - AL
Oh you poor thing.  It is awful, I know.  But it gets better.  Don't worry so much about the protein right now.  Just get fluids.  Lots of fluids.  Walk.  Walk more.  Sip.

Do you have pain meds?  Take them or ask for them.
Do you have nausea meds?  Ask for some.

It gets better.  But yeah, right now it really sucks.

Hang in there.

~Becky

elixir
on 6/15/11 11:46 am - MI
I was prescribed Lortab, but it was making me sick to my stomach. Made me feel absolutely awful. I tried taking Tylenol yesterday which did nothing to dim the pain. Today I called the surgeon's office and they called in a scrip for Tramadol, which seemd to be dulling the pain at least a bit.

I also have Phenergan for nausea, but have only taken it once. 

teachmid
on 6/15/11 3:49 am - OKC, OK
Sounds like things are normal and it WILL get better.....just hard not. Hang in there.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

kirmy
on 6/15/11 4:25 am - BF-Nowhere, United Kingdom
I was too listless in my first month to pray for death.  I used to lie on my couch and imagine a merciful refrigerator dropping upon me from an overhead Boeing 747.  These things gave me comfort.  **** just wait until the reflux starts....hell it gets worse!

Having said that I was feeling OK at three months and fairly normal at four months.  Now 1.5 years out I'm the ever ready bunny.  Just try stopping me!! I don't suffer from anything except jelly fruit related public displays of diarrhea.

You're arse is spewing forth evilness.  Imagine it is your cellulite melting out your arse....what you expected it to smell like roses?  Christ it can curl your toe nails but hey, it is already working and you will be rapidly transforming.  You won't see anything good for the first 5 months.  It is like a switch is flicked after then and you become an unstoppable force.

So to re-cap....yup you'll feel like **** on a shovel.  Too bad, this is a life long transformation so you've gotta pay the ferry man.  You will suffer, you will have regrets and you will be miserable but you will rise above it and eventually look back fondly realising that was the first day of the rest of your life....pity it smells like a pit of rotting offal!

I shat on the hour every hour for the first four days after my surgery.  I was utterly miserable but knew it would get better.  I was 155kgs on my day of surgery and had dropped about 10kgs within the first 9 days  HYDRATE...irritabilty is a sign of dehydration.  Go eat some mashed potato you'll feel better....and be nice to your family they can smell your bum burps!

RIP Mickie aka Happychick.  You will be missed deeply.
elixir
on 6/15/11 11:50 am - MI
While it's sort of a gross mental image, it will help me deal w/the foul bum smells by imagining that it's fat melting away. 

I just wish there was an unscented version.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 358 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views