GAS!!! Help

sarah Shonfelt
on 10/10/11 11:12 am - Acworth, GA
Ok...I am finally fed up with the GAS... I had my surgery 3 years ago (next week) and just in the past 2 months I have had terrible gas...bloating...you name it...I've got it. And my husband who is also a DSer of 2 years is experiencing the same issues. Our diet is the same, nothing has changed. I have tried Gas-X and other over-the-counter regimines...but nothing is changing. I am asking for y'all to offer some ideas that you use to reduce the gas...(and smell...ouch I said it)...I feel like a duck!

Thanks all!!!

Thanks, Sarah                 HW: 325 SW: 311  -  DS Surgery 10/15/08

beemerbeeper
on 10/10/11 11:17 am - AL
I would do a round of flagyl and then get on a good probiotic.

~Becky

sarah Shonfelt
on 10/10/11 12:32 pm - Acworth, GA
Thank you I will check with m doctor on getting the flagyl. I am not familiar with probiotics,is this also offered from the doctor or over the counter?

Julie R.
on 10/10/11 11:25 am - Ludington, MI
 Gas X is worthless for our type of gas.   
You say your diet has not changed...but what are you eating?
Wheat and sugar will do it to me any time.    Are you including these items in your diet?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

sarah Shonfelt
on 10/10/11 12:38 pm - Acworth, GA
I eat very little wheat, bread, and sugar items and find my worst enemy if any is milk products. I stay on a regular diet and rarely deviate from it, breakfast that includes egg, cheese with tortilla, lunch is a little asada with avocado, dinner is meat with salad or veggies and maybe a small piece of bread. I eat snack between meals a yogurt and apple. This is pretty much the same each Fay, but Fridays I have pizza

Elizabeth N.
on 10/11/11 12:16 am - Burlington County, NJ
Apples give me hellacious gas.

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/11 9:57 am
Sarah-

Sounds like the dreaded lactose intolerance to me! 

I was LI going into surgery, and mine got worse for the first year.  I'm almost three years out now, and I still have LI, but Lactaid still works for me.   It doesn't for many once they're switched.

My surgeon said during pre-op that many times DSers who were never LI come out of surgery that way, but it goes away after your body gets used to the new configuration...BUT...if you were LI going in, you'll be LI coming out, maybe worse for a while, but eventually back to your normal LI level.
My surgeon also said that there was a study done that showed African-Americans begin to lose lactase (the digestive enzyme our bodies use to digest milk sugar) as early as three years old!  She says that's one reason LI is so prevalent among African-Americans.   I'm not sure of your ethnicity, but I was floored by this little factoid!

Try the Lactaid, it's over the counter and it may work for you. 
Elizabeth N.
on 10/10/11 12:42 pm - Burlington County, NJ

You have gut critter issues most likely. The mild way to approach it is to do probiotic therapy first, THEN go to antibiotic therapy, generally Flagyl.

I am very fond of a product called Ultimate Flora Critical Care when things get way out of hand. I take it for a couple weeks to a month, then go to a milder product or drop the probiotic completely.

Sometimes that product is not right for my gut critters, though. It's kind of a guessing game at times.

When I get really foul, and I've gotten so I can tell when a certain, um, time has come, I do a course of Flagyl, usually 10-14 days. Then probiotic therapy to repopulate the gizzards with good critters.

butercup
on 10/10/11 4:06 pm - Kennewick, WA
Did you ever feel nausea with it or have it make you sick to the point of not being able to eat?  I have someone with a RNY that has the very strong milky breath smell and I think she has this.  It's affecting her weight.
Elizabeth N.
on 10/11/11 12:15 am - Burlington County, NJ
Yeah, when I'm bothered down below I'm frequently bothered up top, too.

Your friend might have something more sinister going on, though, and needs to get examined and possibly scoped. Bile can have a certain obnoxious sour milk-like odor, so I'm concerned that she could have some of that getting up high enough to be noticable in her breath. There could be lots of things going on.

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views