AFTER SURGERY QUESTION

bigcoop
on 12/22/11 3:09 am - CA
I know everyone will be different but I would like some idea about how long it was before you were able to move around easily. I need to be able to walk back and forth to the local school which is about 3/4 of a mile to a mile round trip. So I am wondering if I should try to schedule surgery ( when the time comes ) during school break or if  a week break after surgery may be long enough to recover. How long after surgery were you able to walk this distance ? THANKS
Nicolle
on 12/22/11 3:20 am
About 5 days after my DS (via lap) I did some sightseeing in San Francisco (where I had my surgery) and walked to the local Walgreens for meds, etc. (which was about 1/2 mile down a big-ass hill) and it was do-able. I needed a nap when I was done, though. That exhaustion lasted about a month for me. I took 2 daily naps.

Nicolle

I had the kick-butt duodenal switch (DS)!

HW: 344 lbs      CW: 150 lbs

Type 2 diabetes and sleep apnea GONE!

* Gail R *
on 12/22/11 3:37 am - SF Bay Area, CA
Take it slow and easy and you can easily do it in 7 to 10 days. Be certain to be well hydrated before and after the walk. That's the mistake I made. Keep a bottle of water with you to sip on the walk.

~Gail R~  high wt.288,  surg wt 274, LW 143, CW 153,  GW164

fullhousemom
on 12/22/11 4:14 am
 I agree with the 7-10 days. The walk will actually be very good for you!  Take it slow, keep hydrated, and don't plan on doing anything after your walk. You will be sleeping!
walter A.
on 12/22/11 6:01 am - lafayette, NJ
YOU might be better prepared to arrange for transportation be it motorized scooter, or municipal transportation, perhaps the school transportation system can help, ask.  even a taxi, the distance is short, but, it can be very far, and its what is after you get there what you have to do that matters also.
Valerie G.
on 12/27/11 8:36 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
It took me a few weeks before I could accomplish that.  I was doing only a few houses down my own street at first.  I remember being totally exhausted after my first trip to the grocery store, and I was in a scooter most of the time.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Rosalie W.
on 12/27/11 10:18 am
Hi Bigcoop,

Smart to plan ahead. I started walking as much as a could BEFORE the surgery. After the surgery, it took me about ten days before I could walk a mile in one trip.

I started walking the day I got home. The first day I made it to the end of the house, eventually making it to the driveway, and then the end of the driveway. It took awhile, even with all of th exercise before the surgery.

Good luck!

MsBatt
on 12/28/11 10:02 am
I couldn't walk that far pre-op, LOL! But as soon as I got out of bed and started walking the hallways, I could walk about as far as I was able to do before surgery, not that that was very far.
Victorious_one
on 12/28/11 9:39 pm - South Central, PA

Chances are that you'll be able to walk it after you've been home about 3-5 days if you walk the hospital halls a lot.  On the off chance that your strength doesn't rebound so quickly, give it more time.  

If you can rest a bit once you get to school, and if your weather is good, that would be great.  If you have to walk it without a break, I'd say give it it about two weeks to be safe.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 56 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 628 views
Need help for my mom