Failed Lapband...should I go VSG or DS

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/12 2:58 am
This is my opinion and I hope from the vsg side I do not get bashed for it. I Had the vsg procedure and now I want and wish I originally had the ds. If I could go back in time that's what I would have done. Either way I wish you the best of luck and be sure to Do Lots of research before making a final decision.
(deactivated member)
on 5/27/12 5:47 am
On May 25, 2012 at 9:01 PM Pacific Time, jennyrenny wrote:
 I had a lapband done in February 2009. I had it removed in February 2012. It was a total flop. I was always soooo hungry and although the band reduced the amount I could eat in a sitting, I never felt full...I felt constantly deprived. As a result I ended up eating "slider" foods and wasn't able to keep fruits, veggies or lean meats down. Talks about backfiring.

So I am taking another kick at the can. I just assumed the next logical step would be the VSG and had it all booked but I am wondering if I should consider something like the DS instead. My BMI is 52, I have 180 lbs to lose. 

My biggest fear is that I will get the VSG and still feel hungry all the time and will wind up having mutilated my body and still be fat. Does the DS help control hunger? Being hungry and not being able to eat for the rest of my life seems like torture. 

I really need my life back but I am afraid to do something as invasive as the DS. On the other hand I am afriad of going to all this trouble and still being fat. Do many people fail with the DS?

Sorry for the long post...just trying to figure things out.

Jenny

If you are planning to have DS I certainly would not go to Aceves.  He has done 18 DS surgeries.  It is his coordinator that claims he's done over 300.  It isn't true in the least.
jennyrenny
on 5/27/12 10:56 am - Canada
DS on 08/11/12
 Wow! Thank you all for your advice and support. I have spent hours on my computer and considered everything that you all said and I have decided to do the DS for sure. I have been in contact with Dr. Aceves office and they are telling me he has done around 40. The good news is that when he does the DS he brings in Dr. Ungson who is one of the vetted DS surgeons on the dsfact.com site. They combine Dr. Aceves' expertise with the VSG portion do the surgery and Dr. Ungson's expertise with the DS portion. I am also reassured by the fact that they keep you in hospital 6 nights unlike some other DS surgeons who only keep you in a couple of nights. Scary to think how that could be safe. I will likely stick around Mexico a few extra days so I am close to the surgeon.

Again, thanks for all your support. I'll be sticking close to these boards as the surgery approaches and after for more great advice fom you vets.

Julie R.
on 5/28/12 10:07 am - Ludington, MI
 You've received some great, well-informed advice here, so I won't give you that, but speaking from personal experience, I have a friend who thought she'd be going the "safest" route by going with the VSG.   She also had a BMI of over 50.   She has lost 146 pounds and has stopped losing, with another 60 pounds left to lose.   She's beating her head against the wall right now.  At the time, she thought she'd be happy with ANY weight loss, but now she wishes she'd gone with the DS, because she will likely never get to goal now.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Teetster
on 5/29/12 9:41 am - Virginia Beach, VA
Hello Jenny,

I am so glad to see that you have decided on the DS. I had a bmi of around 54 when I had VSG surgery four years ago. I lost around 100 pounds, but started gaining weight back around my 3rd hear after VSG.

I revised to DS in August of 2011. Since my revision, I have lost over 100 pounds and am now 8 pounds away from being within a normal weight range.

The VSG really was not enough for me, and I don't think it is enough long term for most people with a BMI as high as mine was. 

I really needed malabsorption and the hormonal effects the intestinal switch portion of the DS causes. 

Good on you for making the DS decision the first time around. Wish I had, but hindsight is always 20/20. I have my DS now, and couldn't be happier. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views