Caffeine

Mendoza
on 9/18/12 7:25 pm - NY
Why you can't drinks caffeine?

MajorMom
on 9/19/12 2:08 am - VA
A couple of reasons I can think of: 1) considered a mild diuretic and you need to keep as much fluid in your system as you can especially early out  2) dark caffeinated beverages can interfere with calcium absorption causing bone density issues.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

MsBatt
on 9/19/12 9:01 am
Who says I can't? I'm an adult, I get to decide this for myself.

Seriously, it's an individual choice. My surgeon told me that caffeine *could* irritate the stomach, especially while healing, but that if it didn't bother ME, then there was no reason that I couldn't have it. (They gave me good ol' strong, Southern iced tea in the hospital after surgery.)

Caffeine is a VERY MILD diuretic, and people who consume it regularily lose even this effect. Here's an excerp from a research paper:

Caffeine ingestion and fluid balance: a review(1) School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Leicestershire, ROYAUME-UNI

Conclusion
The most ecologically valid of the published studies offers no support for the suggestion that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle leads to fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested or is associated with poor hydration status. Therefore, there would appear to be no clear basis for refraining from caffeine containing drinks in situations where fluid balance might be compromised.

Journal of human nutrition and dietetics

Now, this doesn't mean that caffeine's a health food---but it's not the demon many people have made it. The decision is yours.

I drink about a GALLON of unsweetened iced tea every day, and have since my DS over 8.5 years ago.
Valerie G.
on 9/19/12 9:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA
 It slows healing - but you're done healing.
It also serves as a dieuretic, so you'll have to drink way more than 64oz to stay hydrated.  I drink 2-3 times that anyway - so hook me up!  I rarely drink, I don't smoke, so if I could get an IV of caffeine, I'd be on it!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

route66hello
on 9/19/12 11:05 am - Half Moon Bay, CA
DS on 03/15/12
I have been having one cup of hot coffee per-day with no problems. It is a personal choice keeping in mind you might need to drink a bit extra water. Thanks, Terri
puppysweets1
on 9/19/12 11:14 am - CA
I was never told to avoid caffeine.  Did this advice come from your surgeon or nut?  Recommend going with what Ms Batt said, unless there was a valid medical reason you were told to avoid it.

RNY to DS  210 lbs gone for 5 years.

PattyL
on 9/19/12 1:01 pm
 Theoretically speaking, no one should drive fast, ride a bike without a helmet, fire up a doobie, eat dessert, smoke anything, or drink caffeine.  Quite a few docs use the WLS platform to promote their own ideas of healthy living by tacking on all sorts of rules and conditions.  Some are valid and some aren't.  You are a grown up and you get to choose for yourself.

I was never told to avoid caffeine and I don't.  I had a cast iron stomach pre-op and I still do today.  YMMV.
MsBatt
on 9/19/12 7:47 pm
On September 19, 2012 at 1:01 PM Pacific Time, PattyL wrote:
 Theoretically speaking, no one should drive fast, ride a bike without a helmet, fire up a doobie, eat dessert, smoke anything, or drink caffeine.  Quite a few docs use the WLS platform to promote their own ideas of healthy living by tacking on all sorts of rules and conditions.  Some are valid and some aren't.  You are a grown up and you get to choose for yourself.

I was never told to avoid caffeine and I don't.  I had a cast iron stomach pre-op and I still do today.  YMMV.
PattyL, I love you.

I plan on driving fast, riding without a helmet, firing up a doobie, eating dessert, and drinking caffeine until I slide sideways into the grave, holding a Jack and Coke, screaming "Whooie! What a RIDE!!!"
Victorious_one
on 9/22/12 4:22 am - South Central, PA
I asked my surgeon about caffeine and he said it doesn't matter surgery wise and it's up to me. I'm drinking some now and I plan to drink more! I do 2-3 cups per day and I don't usually drink other caffeine.
Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
southernlady5464
on 9/22/12 5:25 am
Mine told me I couldn't...yeah, right! I drink one large (it's actually two) cup every morning and yes, it's full of caffeine. I keep drinking other liquids ALL day long.

I prefer the good effects of coffee to the lack of caffeine and decaf doesn't cut it. And like MsBatt, I am an adult...I stayed on decaf for a few months pre-op so I could handle it post-op while healing but once I got to the 4 month mark, I went back to caffeine.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 149 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views