Losing Weight

jim1969
on 6/20/13 7:15 am - Lakewood, WI

I have a couple question that I have been thinking of.  Can you lose to much weight with this surgery? Do you just start adding more carbs to stop the weight loss? Thoughts on 150 cc?

airbender
on 6/20/13 9:22 am

no not really, the first 2 years are for intestinal adaptation, once this is complete you will be amazed at how efficint the human body can be.....you will most likey have to think about not gaining.....unless you keep your carbs low for life....

fullhousemom
on 6/20/13 9:58 am
I met a girl at my surgeon's office who told me that our surgeon was threatening to reverse her DS. Her issue? She was single and never felt like eating or cooking! Surprisingly, she did not look like a thin gaunt anorexic type girl. Her not eating, however, was resulting in huge vitamin deficiencies and health issues.

There have been a couple of people who have mentioned gaining up to 20 lbs a couple years out from surgery. They were also happy about it because they felt they were too low. Thats the only time I can recall reading about anyone losing too much weight. With the 10 lbs that most seem to add back at some point, perhaps losing too much isn't a big issue. How does our body know that set point? No idea. I just know that losing too much does not seem to be a big discussion point around here.

150 cc seems a little longer than most, but it all depends on how much you have to lose, how compliant you will be, and what you want your end "look" to be. If you are looking to be thin and anticipating plastic surgery, then it seems a little long. If you don't care if you are a little heavier, but health is more important, and you want a little more freedom with what you eat later, than a longer one is ok.

I lost about 110 lbs. I am 5-7 and weigh about 135. I would have been happy at 170. Sometimes I wish I had a longer channel. Then again, I will never really know if I would have been able to maintain 170 and my health over the next 30 or more potential years (I'm 47). If I had to do it again, I would request a longer cc, but that said, I am thrilled with my successes thus far.
meq815
on 6/20/13 1:29 pm - PA

I asked my surgeon preop, "how does your body know when to stop losing?".  He was very honest and said no one really knows, it's a phenomenon, that everyone "overloses", then regains to attain a normal body weight.

jashley
on 6/20/13 2:52 pm
DS on 12/19/12

It really depends on the person. I am 5'3" and have 100 lbs to lose.   I have a 75 cc, and I will be lucky if I get 85% of my weight off.  You just never know when the body will re-adjust and where it will draw the line on weight loss. 

I suppose there might be people who have a 75 or 50 cc and do have problems with too much weight dropping off - but I haven't heard of it yet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 310 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 775 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views