What if?

jim1969
on 1/27/14 8:53 am - Lakewood, WI

Im getting closer to finding out about having a DS. I started last year then got busy during the summer and started again to get my six visits in with my nutritionist. Has anyone given a thought to what if something happens to our country? Like the economy crashes or some other crazy thing and you cant get your vitamins. How long of a supply do you keep and how long do they last being stored? I know this might sound nuts but its something I have been thinking about as the time gets closer. Also has anyone been able to get ride of their CPAP machine after this surgery?

fullhousemom
on 1/27/14 8:59 am
I typically buy a six month supply of vites, just because I can save on shipping and save the time ordering less frequently. I have never worried about vitamins not being available.

MajorMom
on 1/27/14 9:00 am - VA

No CPAP any more. 

I pack a to-go bag but can't afford to keep a year or more worth of vitamins and protein powder. I figure if I keep 90 days, I'm doing good. More than that I'm sunk for long term.  I do keep my labs up at the top of the ranges or a little better, so I might be ok for a few years.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

larra
on 1/27/14 9:59 am - bay area, CA

I can't answer your question about the economy (except to say that I think your concern seems extreme) but definitely many people are able to get rid of their CPAP machines. I never had sleep apnea, but my brother did, and in fact his was severe. His CPAP settings were gradually reduced and after about 2 years he didn't need to use it anymore. This was a big deal foro him, esp since  he travels a lot. No one can promise that this will happen for you, as the rate of resolution isn't 100%, but the DS does have a higher rate of resolution for sleep apnea that any other bariatric operation. This makes sense because improvement/resolution of sleep apnea depends on weight loss, and the DS has the highest percentage excess weight loss and best maintenance of that weight loss of any bariatric operation presently available.

Larra

PS keep in mind that our recent/still somewhat ongoing recession was the worst since the great depression and we still had no problems with vitamin availability.

fattynNC
on 1/27/14 11:18 am
DS on 08/28/12

I have not been able to get rid of my cpap, but my apnea was really severe.  It must be the way I'm built because my very slim Daddy has sleep apnea too.  You might be able to get rid of yours.

airbender
on 1/27/14 11:31 am

i keep about 6 months, just because shipping ends up being much less.  umm economy crashing??  the US is much more fortunate than a lot of other countries where the ds is performed.  I am sure your CPAP issue had a great chance of being a thing of the past with the DS

BReyes1961
on 1/27/14 12:20 pm
DS on 12/16/13

I've had the same thought, but I dismiss it telling myself I don't need to worry about it, but deep down I do.  I thought I was the only one thinking that way....you are not alone LOL!

Irishnurse
on 1/27/14 1:20 pm, edited 1/27/14 1:21 pm
DS on 04/17/13

Will you be any better off in the condition you are now if the economy or anything goes wrong with our country.  Start stocking up if it makes you feel better. If you get extra money buy extra vites and protein powders. I personally would not have lasted being 340 pounds and ill all the time if anything went weird here in the good ol' USA. Currently at 220 I can take on more stress and issues than I could before. =) I lost my job for four months after surgery and figured out a way to survive. I am still here and okay and healthy =D

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

(deactivated member)
on 1/27/14 2:11 pm
fullhousemom
on 1/28/14 8:08 am
I see in your signature line, you are scheduled to have the rny. Do you know this is the DS board? With your bmi, you are better served with the DS. I hope you research everything you can get your hands on before surgery. Check out dsfacts dot com for everything you could ever want to know about the DS. Its a very good informative site, and has been a lifesaver for many.
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views