FAT FREE

Valerie G.
on 3/9/14 8:54 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's a pretty reasonable guideline to follow except for the low/no fat dairy.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

shannn
on 3/11/14 9:10 am - Knoxville , TN

I have lost 175 pounds and am maintaining....

Most of these are very good guidelines with a few exceptions:

1) I eat a great deal of dairy, none of it low fat or nonfat. Think cheese, milk, yogurt

2) I wouldn't build my diet around any kind of bread/cereal/pasta unless I wanted to be incredibly sick all the time. Whole grain or not- they're still carbs.

3) I can't eat fruit- the natural sugars in it are way too high and it makes me sick.

4) I mostly eat meat and again, NOT lean meat. I couldn't eat chicken for a long long time because it made me sick. I don't eat fish. I can only eat pork tenderloins, but not chops- too tough. I eat steak, ground beef, roast if cooked with a lot of juices,  chicken if covered in a sauce, and shellfish (shrimp, lobster, crab).

Again, as with everything, YMMV!

~shannon
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." ~E. Roosevelt

(Ticker includes 11 pounds lost in pre-op diet.) 

Sheanie
on 3/11/14 4:03 pm
On March 7, 2014 at 4:58 PM Pacific Time, marionmoon wrote:

Hey, let me share this diet and exercise plan. I follow these about a months ago and I can say it is effective.

1. You MUST exercise if you want to lose weight and keep it off, so do something every day, even if it’s just a 15-minute walk around the neighborhood. Don’t say you don’t have time for exercise; you have to MAKE time. Yes, it takes time and effort, but you’re worth it, right?

2. Walk as much as you want, but don’t do cardio for more than 40 minutes at a time. If you do, you risk burning muscle instead of fat.

3. If you do strength training, use light weights and do lots of repetitions. That’ll really help you “tone up.”

4. Your diet will make you or break you. You have probably learned bad eating habits over time (most people do). That’s not your fault, but now you have to deal with it. Make a commitment to yourself to unlearn those bad habits and re-learn better habits.

5. Eat breakfast every day within an hour of getting up. People who don’t are 450% more likely to be overweight.

6. Eat six small meals or snacks per day instead of three squares per day or one big meal per day. Your body expends energy digesting your food, so eating smaller portions more often keeps your metabolism running high because you’re constantly digesting food.

7. Avoid these as much as possible:

-- Trans fat (any type of partially or fully hydrogenated oil)
-- High fructose corn syrup (soft drinks are LOADED with it)
-- Fast food
-- Junk food
-- White sugar, white flour, white rice, white potatoes
-- The deadly C’s (cookies, cakes, candy, chips, cola)

8. Build your diet around these trim-body-friendly foods:

-- Nuts, any kind (almonds are best)
-- Beans/Legumes
-- Fresh vegetables (green is GREAT!!!)
-- Dairy products (as long as they’re low-fat or non-fat)
-- Eggs
-- Lean meats (fish and poultry top the list)
-- Olive oil
-- Whole grain breads/cereals/pasta
-- Fresh fruits (anything that ends in “berry” is a winner)
-- Tea (green tea or black pekoe tea)
-- Cold water or ice water (your body has to expend extra calories to heat it up)

9. Desserts and treats are the exception, not the rule. Having said that, however, (1) you can have a couple of pieces of chocolate every day – just don’t overdo, and (2) Allow yourself one “cheat meal” every week where you eat and drink whatever you want as long as you don’t gorge yourself. That i’ll help keep you from feeling deprived and it’ll make it easier to stick with your new healthy eating plan.

Hope it helps.

MarionMoon:  Why is there a link to a huge commercial bariatric conglomerate on the bottom of your page?  When did you have bariatric surgery?  And WHY are you giving fat-free advice to someone who had the Duodenal Switch bariatric surgery? 

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Irishnurse
on 3/7/14 3:09 pm, edited 3/11/14 8:53 am
DS on 04/17/13

Unfortunately some Surgeons and Nuts really do not have the correct information because they are not very well vetted.

My surgeon was one of the best and he and his NP recommended high fat, high protein. Matter of fact I am suppose to eat 120g a day of fat but cannot get all that in. 

SW-340, CW-164, GW-150, 14 pounds to go...

Sheanie
on 3/11/14 3:21 pm

Scarlet32blue:  I'm going to try to explain the fat-free myth to you like I understood it best.  It's a very hard concept to wrap your brain around, so don't feel bad. 

For the sake of simplicity, say you have two cups of greek yogurt.  One is full fat, the other fat free.  The full fat version has 200 calories, 100 of those calories are from fat.  The fat free cup has 200 calories, no calories from fat.  As a DSer, you will absorb approximately 120 calories from the full fat version.  You will absorb ALL 200 calories from the fat free version, however.  Does that make sense?  They will both be (for the sake of this discussion) the same in protein content.  So the full fat version would be the intelligent choice for you, right?  That's the magic of the Duodenal Switch.  Fat is our friend, because we malabsorb 80% of it forever.

Those of you who are eating low-fat or fat-free with the DS, good luck with that long term.  When you wonder why you're having regain down the road, think back to the DS Math and figure it out.  Butter is your friend.  Full fat sour cream, real full fat cheese (NOT processed, it's full of carbs).  REAL bacon (not turkey bacon), real sausage, eggs fried in butter.  Full fat mayonnaise, full fat dressings, they are all your friend now.  You will absorb fewer calories eating full fat versions than fat free.  DO THE MATH.

I.  am.  not.  a.  doctor.

HW 250ish  SW 219  CW 110  LW 100

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 370 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views