How to say 'Goodbye"to my best friend...FOOD

sleeplessinky
on 1/10/18 3:05 pm - Frankfort, KY

Great thought and prayers going your way for the surgery. You can't just change overnight with the Liver Diet. Just do the best you can, and if you slip, get back up. Don't beat yourself up. I hope you have a lot of family and friends that you can start forming some of them into a support group. It is never too soon for that. Are you having the Biliopancreatic with Duodenal Switch surgery done? I ask, because since I had that done, (Jan 2013), they seem to have more than one version of it now.

When they partially section you stomach, I am not sure if they remove part of it, or just close it off where it no longer works. I don't know if you have heard of ghrelin-a hormone produced in your stomach that causes you to be hungry. Ghrelin production is greatly reduced. My common channel was reduced to 90 cm. The newer surgeries are leaving it longer to improve absorption of vital nutrients in your food and vitamins.

You replied to one of my messages about a week ago, saying you had an excellent doctor. I asked if you minded tell me who you doctor was and where he was located.

Despite the research I did before having the surgery, I did not think I would have any mal-absorption problems. And I never saw any mention of losing too much weight or talk about the common channel. Now I am facing all these problems, and it is a real battle. I am very sick. My doctor was excellent, but he is in San Francisco, and I am in West Kentucky. He no longer accepts my insurance. I have been trying to find a doctor that is not that far away. I know I will still probably have to fly somewhere, and I need one that will take my insurance. There are no bariatric doctors near me that will help me. I do not have a lot of resources, nor a support group. (I do get group emails from the support group formed from my doctor in California, but of course, I can't attend the meetings). Obesityhelp.com has been trying to help me find another doctor.

I see people are saying you can eat anything after the DS. It is the strongest weight-loss surgery, which I needed. I had a roux-en-y 9 years before the DS, and it didn't work for me. Unfortunately, there were only 4 doctors in the US that would revise a roux-en-y to a DS. I chose the one with the most experience, which is how I ended up having the surgery in San Francisco. I think the reason I ended up with these problems is that for 10 months I was very sick with a form of colitis and lost 40 lbs. I was so sick, trying to work, under a ton of duress, and also jumping through so many insurance hoops to get the DS surgery approved, I didn't notice how low my weight had got. The surgery went fine. I had no problems until 9 months later when a got a follow-up call from the doctor himself, telling me I was losing too much weight. I couldn't believe it.

I hope I haven't repeated myself a bunch. I have severe memory and concentration problems. I wish my common channel had been left longer. I had never heard of a surgery where similar doctors would refuse to even see me. That is why I was wondering the name of your doctor and where (he, she), was located.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 776 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1061 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 351 views