Fasting? (And question about itching)

Fire_Ice
on 12/3/17 9:51 am
DS on 10/25/17

I fast for religious reasons (both food and water), and while I'll ask my doctor about it next time I see him, I'm wondering whether anyone here ever does so. Was there a specific amount of time you waited until you resumed fasting? (I'm almost six weeks post-op.) I don't think it's something I should be doing now as I'm still healing, but I'm curious as to whether I'll be able to pick it back up in the future.

Another weird question I have - I've been itching. A lot. On my back, my shoulders, under my knees, along my ankles, etc. I don't have a rash. I don't have dry skin (I'm drinking my 64 ounces of water). I don't have any little bites or bumps. There's nothing there, other than I just itch. Taking a hot shower is the best feeling because it's like it hits all these spots at once that are itching. I haven't really been able to find any info out about it online. Has anyone else here experienced something similar?

PattyL
on 12/3/17 11:36 am

I am assuming you are talking sunup to sundown? While you are in your weightloss phase, the first @ 2 years, this is not a good idea. After that most of us could go back to doing anything we could have done before surgery. The exception would most likely be the few who still have issues with dehydration if they are not drinking pretty constantly.

Fire_Ice
on 12/3/17 12:19 pm
DS on 10/25/17

Not quite as long, but close. Thanks for giving me a timeframe to look forward to - I appreciate it!

Valerie G.
on 12/3/17 3:15 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Dehydration hits hard and fast. I would not recommend fasting liquids for a long time.

For itching, I got nuthin!

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/17 10:19 pm
Fire_Ice
on 12/5/17 2:47 pm
DS on 10/25/17

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with the weird itching! :)

Janet P.
on 12/4/17 9:00 am

How often would you be fasting? Like Val said, dehydration sets in very fast.

How much fat are you getting? Dry skin (and itching) for me is a real issue. It may not look dry but I've found that since my DS I'm overly dry.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Fire_Ice
on 12/5/17 2:51 pm
DS on 10/25/17

Not hardly any fat right now. I'm eating lean protein and veggies, four ounces total.

The fasting would be for two meals.

Janet P.
on 12/6/17 10:23 am
On December 5, 2017 at 10:51 PM Pacific Time, Fire_Ice wrote:

Not hardly any fat right now. I'm eating lean protein and veggies, four ounces total.

The fasting would be for two meals.

There's really no reason for lean - you need fat, which might help with your itching.

Are you saying you would be fasting for two meals every day? Does that also include vitamins, water, etc.? How do you intend to get your protein, fluids, and supplements in when you are fasting for two meals? I don't mean to ask so many questions but I'm just trying to understand how you intend to fast two meals per day with the DS.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Fire_Ice
on 12/6/17 10:26 am
DS on 10/25/17

My nutritionist and doctor keep hammering home that I shouldn't be eating fat right now.

As far as the fasting, it would be one day a month. Not every day. :)

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views