Normal

west4thavenue
on 11/10/19 9:00 am, edited 11/10/19 12:38 pm

Hello, friends,

I am fairly certain no one will remember me, since it has been a long time since I posted anything on any bariatric forum. I am not a big fan of social media, but I have found good information and support on this and other sites, so I read what's new from time to time without comment. However, something I read on a forum has been weighing heavily on my mind for the past several weeks, and I want to offer my two cents worth.

[Quick background: 5 1/2 years since the lap DS that literally saved my life -- long story, so details upon request.]

So here is the gyst of what disturbed me. A DS hopeful asked, "Do you eat normal?", to which a DSer replied, "Yes, I eat normal."

Normal. Ah, what an interesting word, isn't it?

Before my surgery, "normal" was a lot of carbs. Bread, potatoes, pasta, sugar -- the works. Today, I allow myself three days a year to eat such things, and those are on holidays. The rest of the time, I DO NOT. If I wish to maintain my weight, not to mention the health and quality of life I have worked so hard to improve, I CANNOT. Today, "normal" is pretty much an Atkins-type diet. If I eat like the old "normal", I will become the old normal, and that won't work for me.

This body I live in and with is improved, but not new. This is the same body I was in before the surgery. The same one that clung to every calorie I put in my mouth. The one that grew bigger and bigger through the years, especially after those many times when I starved to beat it into submission and it blew back at me with a vengeance. This same body would still love to be obese! That has not changed. The disease of obesity is, for my body, "normal".

Fortunately, the DS has proved to be the wonderful TOOL I hoped it would be. It is also a tool I must still continue to employ every day. I just don't have much wiggle room. I HAVE to be as diligent about keeping the weight off as I was in getting it off, and that is MY "normal".

Bottom line: My "normal" requires a hard core compliance even this far out from my WLS. I have made peace with the foods I have to avoid. That took some time. I much prefer slipping into my size 6 jeans and a functioning heart to the near death hell I was in 6 years ago.

What bothered me about this "normal" conversation is that a person who is hoping to have any WLS may still be thinking this is a magic wand, not a tool, and that after recovery, eating normal pasta and normal cookies will still be okay. I never want to pass that message along, even by mistake.

A successful WLS of any variety requires permanent CHANGE. "Normally", human beings don't opt to make such gigantic changes in their lives unless they are in so much pain mentally or physically that they have little choice but to do so. Ask any recovering addict. Ask a battered spouse who finally found the courage to leave. You have to create a NEW "normal", right?

In fairness, I think that some DS patients with a slightly shorter common channel may have an easier time in terms of what they eat than I do. They may also have a much harder time with labs than I do. I take my supplements religiously, and I have never, thank God, had an issue with my labs.

Diligent compliance has been the key to my success with this tool.

Please note, it may have been on this site or another, I don't remember. If it was on this site, please know that I do not intend to rebuke anyone. Every patient's experience is different. I just want to make sure every prospective DS patient goes into this in the right frame of mind -- ready for change. Ready for a new normal.

west4thavenue
on 11/10/19 9:00 am, edited 11/10/19 12:38 pm

Hello, friends,

I am fairly certain no one will remember me, since it has been a long time since I posted anything on any bariatric forum. I am not a big fan of social media, but I have found good information and support on this and other sites, so I read what's new from time to time without comment. However, something I read on a forum has been weighing heavily on my mind for the past several weeks, and I want to offer my two cents worth.

[Quick background: 5 1/2 years since the lap DS that literally saved my life -- long story, so details upon request.]

So here is the gyst of what disturbed me. A DS hopeful asked, "Do you eat normal?", to which a DSer replied, "Yes, I eat normal."

Normal. Ah, what an interesting word, isn't it?

Before my surgery, "normal" was a lot of carbs. Bread, potatoes, pasta, sugar -- the works. Today, I allow myself three days a year to eat such things, and those are on holidays. The rest of the time, I DO NOT. If I wish to maintain my weight, not to mention the health and quality of life I have worked so hard to improve, I CANNOT. Today, "normal" is pretty much an Atkins-type diet. If I eat like the old "normal", I will become the old normal, and that won't work for me.

This body I live in and with is improved, but not new. This is the same body I was in before the surgery. The same one that clung to every calorie I put in my mouth. The one that grew bigger and bigger through the years, especially after those many times when I starved to beat it into submission and it blew back at me with a vengeance. This same body would still love to be obese! That has not changed. The disease of obesity is, for my body, "normal".

Fortunately, the DS has proved to be the wonderful TOOL I hoped it would be. It is also a tool I must still continue to employ every day. I just don't have much wiggle room. I HAVE to be as diligent about keeping the weight off as I was in getting it off, and that is MY "normal".

Bottom line: My "normal" requires a hard core compliance even this far out from my WLS. I have made peace with the foods I have to avoid. That took some time. I much prefer slipping into my size 6 jeans and a functioning heart to the near death hell I was in 6 years ago.

What bothered me about this "normal" conversation is that a person who is hoping to have any WLS may still be thinking this is a magic wand, not a tool, and that after recovery, eating normal pasta and normal cookies will still be okay. I never want to pass that message along, even by mistake.

A successful WLS of any variety requires permanent CHANGE. "Normally", human beings don't opt to make such gigantic changes in their lives unless they are in so much pain mentally or physically that they have little choice but to do so. Ask any recovering addict. Ask a battered spouse who finally found the courage to leave. You have to create a NEW "normal", right?

In fairness, I think that some DS patients with a slightly shorter common channel may have an easier time in terms of what they eat than I do. They may also have a much harder time with labs than I do. I take my supplements religiously, and I have never, thank God, had an issue with my labs.

Diligent compliance has been the key to my success with this tool.

Please note, it may have been on this site or another, I don't remember. If it was on this site, please know that I do not intend to rebuke anyone. Every patient's experience is different. I just want to make sure every prospective DS patient goes into this in the right frame of mind -- ready for change. Ready for a new normal.

PattyL
on 11/10/19 12:10 pm

My cheat days are holidays and out of town vacations. Other than that I pretty much eat Atkins Induction, 20 to 30 carbs a day. For me that IS normal.

But as far as quantities go, I do eat 'normal' size servings. Today I am having most of my carbs in 1 fell swoop. I made SF pistachio pudding and I have whipped cream for it too.

I am looking forward to Thanksgiving!

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/11/19 11:29 am

Post op RNY 11+ years post op.

My new normal is normal as it is for my skinny - or "normal size" GFs. They eat reasonably, often they shared a meal with each other when we were out. Because one meal was more than enough for 2 of them.

And they monitored their weight or size daily. If tehy saw a regain of 2 lbs they would restrict what they ate and how much. Added extra exercise until they saw the magic number on a scale or were able to fit into their "skinny pants". Because of my WLS - some days I feel I can eat more than they can. More proteins and fats. But less carbs.

In a way watching my normal GFs helped me understand what "normal eating is".

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

west4thavenue
on 11/11/19 11:48 am

Exactly!

This is what people considering this option need to know. Effort and consequences don't stop once you have WLS.

I love your signature!

west4thavenue
on 11/11/19 11:48 am

Exactly!

This is what people considering this option need to know. Effort and consequences don't stop once you have WLS.

I love your signature!

Janet P.
on 11/12/19 8:16 am

I think normal is different for everyone. I'm 16 years post-op from the DS. I eat whatever I want (including carbs) as long as I get in a minimum of 120 grams of protein and at least a gallon of water. I eat pasta and bread and cookies. What I am mindful of is portion size. When I eat pasta I eat one serving (as measured from the box). If I want cookies I may have 2-3 and not an entire box. That to me is the definition of normal.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

west4thavenue
on 11/12/19 9:30 am

I have to tell you, I am envious. Wish I could enjoy do pasta, etc. without consequence.

And I agree, post-DS normal is is different for each of us. My concern is that we don't allow people to believe that we are all as fortunate as you.

Out of curiousity, do you happen to know the length of your common channel?

west4thavenue
on 11/12/19 9:30 am

I have to tell you, I am envious. Wish I could enjoy do pasta, etc. without consequence.

And I agree, post-DS normal is is different for each of us. My concern is that we don't allow people to believe that we are all as fortunate as you.

Out of curiousity, do you happen to know the length of your common channel?

Janet P.
on 11/12/19 10:23 am

I never said there weren't consequences. Of course I get some gas/bloating from pasta and other "white flour" carbs. I just pick and choose what I eat very carefully. To be honest, if I didn't eat the amount of carbs I eat, I'd continue to lose weight, which is not something I need to do.

My CC is 150 cm.

Whenever I talk to anyone about WLS, and in particular the DS, I always, always add a caveat that everyone is different and so are their results.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 130 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 671 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views