Post Op

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 7/16/22 1:00 am
WLS on 07/15/22

Morning everyone.,

I'm less than one day post op and everything is going swimmingly, comparatively. Surgery was 45 minutes or less. I don't even remember making it to anesthesia. Just remember waking up with it done.

The worst pain has been from the gas. Taking everyone's advice to heart, I've been walking a ton and am attached to my tiny cups for sipping. To go home, I have to sip 25 one ounce cups of water and protein starting at 5am.

Very little pain meds. I asked for one last night to sleep. I've had two 500mg Tylenol on top of it. Most of what I'm getting is anti nausea. Have a patch and have had it added to my iv and such.

Feels like I'm in good shape. Just wanted to share for those who asked for an update. Happy to answer questions if anyone has them. From my fancy hospital bed, cheers!

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 7/17/22 6:11 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

More post op thoughts.

I've been getting creative at home for how I can get done the things I need to. Let's just say my legs are sore from squatting to do things rather than bending over.

I haven't taken any pain meds since coming home, just the acid pill and the biotin/probiotic, etc. that i was told to resume. Grateful for that. Four of my incisions are a little puffy in the middle. The two on the outside are bruising up some but aren't tender or painful.

Getting through the thicker protein shakes has been hard but I'm going to get at least 48 ounces of fluid total today. So rejoicing for that. Bit light headed right now so just...more sipping. Have also been walking laps around my living room.

I will say that the post op gas pains were the worst of it. I woke up two hours earlier than planned and asked the nurses to let me walk. After they supervised a lap, they turned me loose. I was walking every hour and the gas pains improved a little each time.

The first night, my guts turned back on. The active rumbling was a bit surprising! Not hungry, though. I was allowed to walk out during discharge after meeting the requirements. It was nice to come home.

All in all, surgery was super quick with no complications. My surgeon is great and came to see me. Probably the weirdest thing to me is that I remember leaving my pre op room to go to anesthesia, and vaguely remember arriving there but nothing after that. No putting the mask on or counting. Just skips from arriving to...hey, you're done! I kept trying to talk to some guy named Joseph in recovery. Poor guy.

Anyway, this is me two days post op. Woo!

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

3horse
on 8/1/22 5:25 pm

Great! So glad you did well. Now how are you feeling a couple of weeks later?

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 8/1/22 6:06 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

Thanks! Feeling good. I answered your other thread, too. My first checkup was today and I got to eat a bit of cottage cheese today. Seems to have been tolerated well since it's been two hours. No issues with meeting water and protein goals. Still takes a lot of sticking with it to make sure I'm always sipping since I was a gulper previously.

Doctor told me I'm on track for what he would want to see at this stage. I'm currently four days into a stall but it happens. I got to meet and compare notes with three other people who had surgery the same day, so that was interesting.

I start all my vitamins tomorrow and I'm looking forward to weaning off the protein shakes. I'm not a fan of sweet things and would rather eat food. Have a very carefully planned menu for the next few days to start testing foods.

I chalk a lot of this up to changing a lot of habits before surgery and following their directions. I haven't had anything identifiable as hunger since surgery and the constant sipping keeps me full.

The surgeon told me today I have about 80 weeks of honeymoon to take advantage of. Good start, I guess. Was also cleared to start exercise so going to try the elliptical a bit tomorrow. Hope your personal journey is going well! Cheers.

3horse
on 8/2/22 8:50 am

Good to hear! You seem to be doing stellar. Don't worry about what you call stalls. Your body has been through a lot. If you stick to the rules, you will lose the weight. I had the DS 9 years ago (the old DS) my common channel is 125. The DS still works just fine!

It is a life changer!

Keep us informed on your progress!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 322 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 782 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 260 views