2 Surgeries I need to try to get back on track.

DustyLady
on 3/18/14 5:55 am - OH

We need to add more when our bodies make us miserable for not doing so.

You make my point.  There's no way we can (or should) completely eliminate them from our diets.

SkinnyScientist
on 3/18/14 9:51 pm

"You make my point." By your flawed logic, an untreated diabetic craving sugar should eat more sugar?  I think not.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

DustyLady
on 3/18/14 11:47 pm - OH

Excuse me, but you misread my words.  I've never said that we should make gluttons of ourselves when it's been shown that our bodies have trouble metabolizing a particular substance.  But even a diabetic needs to have some sugar in his diet.  At least that's what my own endocrinologist tells me.  

The point I've been trying to make here is that sometimes cravings are indicative of some metabolic problem that needs to be investigated. For instance, salt cravings like mine can point to some serious adrenal problems that can be harmful if untreated or ignored.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/26/13 3:24 am, edited 12/26/13 3:27 am

You may try to clean your diet from carbs and see if that helps your cravings for sweets. I had RNY and I am one of the few that not only get dumping but I also get severe RH.    Most of the time - I can abstain from sweets and carbs, but once I start - I can eat them. And unlike dense proteins - carbs are slider foods so I can eat and eat and eat... I can eat around my surgery.  I think anyone can eat around their surgery. 

getting RNY once you know you crave sweets and you have a hard time controlling that may only bring you more misery and not real weight loss.. That is  probably why they denied you. On top of that the 190 lbs may not even qualify you for any WLS- if there is no failure of any one that  you had. 

Maybe going for counseling and looking into your food issues and deal with that may help you lose some of the weight? 

I know I have to make daily choices what to eat and what not to eat not only to maintain my weight.    Every meal  I have to make a choice and most of the time I make the right choice for me.  

Once I am able to detox from carbs crave (I had last weekend) and eat "clean" for  3-4 days (really clean - no carbs, just non starchy veggies, some nuts, other than meats and fish) I know my "need and cravings " for carbs and sugars will go away.  

I do notice that some diet soft drinks make me crave candies and other carbs.  So I gave that up.

Every WLS - is just a tool, how you use it -   will make a difference. I do believe that band - is wrong - and many times it fails people.    Good luck. 

join our ground of friends: 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/backontracktogether/discuss ion/

who are loosing the regain or maintain...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Virgie Tschirhart
on 1/1/14 4:11 am - Midwest City, OK
RNY on 12/27/17

I appreciate you replying.  It's true.  I have to go cold turkey off the white/sugar carbs.  I need to get up and dust the dirt off and get back to the basics.  I just hope that my Sleeve will still work.  Yes, I will join your group back on track together!!!

Thanks again!  

Virgie Tschirhart

Lap Band - 2008, Sleeve - 2009, RYN - 2017

Started Program Weight July 13, 2017 - 194.2

Before Surgery Weight December 27, 2017 - 185.0

Current Weight - February 2018 - 161.0

HKFandora
on 1/14/14 7:21 am

Your font hurts my eyes so sorry if I didn't answer anything specific. I also had the VSG. Didn't lose much. Now I'm going back to basics, protein enriched. I'm about to order some protein mix. I like the chicken. I'm considering a revision to the DS but am giving myself time to do it on my own.

DustyLady
on 3/18/14 3:10 am - OH

I also had a vertical banded gastroplasty, at the University of Iowa.  At the time they err researching the lap band, and wanted to include me in the study.  But I lived too far from the hospital.  So they did the old-fashioned stapling.  I healed well, but never really lost a lot of weight.  Personally, it amazes me that people are even considering a second or third surgery.  But, that's their choice to make.  

No one has ever, in all of these 20 years, told me to eat x amt of protein, x of fat. And so on.  I've had to wing it.  And it's not working.

Most Active