30 mg Cymbalta before bedtime?

mermaidoz
on 11/9/12 6:25 am, edited 11/11/12 12:14 am - Canada

Glad to report that. skeptical as I was, the 2 week trial of  Cymbalta has proven positive....I had a headache the first 3 days at night ( I took the Cymbalta at bedtime) and the first 2 nights I woke up after 4 hours sleep and stayed wide awake for the next 3 hours....After that it was clear sailing, no sleep problems or headaches...Had no pain relief until the 8th night (or day)...minor arthritic pains in hands and feet were gone and also the stiffnes/pains in ankles and feet, and heaviness in legs.plus shoulder/back pains gone....Really think it is working but takes a while to kick in.

I Googled all my meds to see if any incompatibilities,  and yesterday a primary care physician who gave me the prescription checked as well, and I won't have to worry about Cipro ( which I take occasionally for IBS and Diverticulitis as well as cystitis) being incompatible as at the low dose I will be taking, even if I need to double or tripple  the dose, he says it will not be a problem...

Absolutely no fog like I had with Amytriptilene !  I am a Cymbalta convert....oh, and it is OK for me with wine, no problemo! Tried it and noticed nothing in the way of any effects...but I am aware that both wine and meds are all processed by our liver so will keep that in mind and not overdo the wine!.

mermaidoz
on 1/9/13 6:49 am - Canada

Well, here it is January 2013, and my doctor told me last week to double the dose to 60 mgs (available in one capsule) which I now take in the am.  I did, and within 8 hours had the migraine from hell which is still with me a day and a half later...Mindful that when I first took just 30 mgs I also had a headache, will tough this out a few days and see if it resolves...I need more relief than that provided by 30 mgs now as lately have been in generalized pain day and night...

Bratlyn98
on 2/10/13 10:40 am - VA
RNY on 12/19/12
How are u feeling now?

Surgery Date: RNY: 12/19/12

Weight in: 221 lbs

Starting weight: 235 lbs

mermaidoz
on 4/5/13 8:51 am - Canada
Actually have noticed an improvement with the double dose, now at 60 mg
. The headache also went away like first time when I tried half that dose.
I have broken sleep, so take my Synthroid at about 3 am, then at about 6 am I take my Cymbalta and sleep for another hour or two, and find some stiffness and pain I had at 6 am is gone, especially welcome as lower legs and ankles otherwise would be very painful, and I can get out of bed quite easily. Hot shower helps ease the stiffness and residual pain as well. Forgot to mention I take a Flexoryl at bedtime (muscle relaxant) which makes me sleepy and helps with the pain.

One thing I have noticed after being all these months on Cymbalta: I dream a lot and in colour...not exactly nightmares, but real long adventures, and I remember scraps of them on waking, and I am quite tired from my dreams....Anyone else notice this?

JazzyOne9254
on 4/4/13 7:24 am

Cymbalta  has been a miracle drug for me, along with Lyrica.  I have some pain, but not the kind that was keeping me in bed most of the time.  Also take Flexeril.

I also have Lupus, so I take Plaquenil for that.

Surprisingly, none of my meds had to be adjusted upwards because of the surgery.  I take all my pills on an empty stomach.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

mermaidoz
on 4/5/13 9:00 am - Canada
Yes I think I have to agree with you. Not sure I would like to give up my Cymbalta now, despite the very active dreams I seem to be having...I feel tired when I wake up, but think I also have Sjogren's because am on Restasis drops for my dry eyes, have cotton mouth especially at night and can drink one to 2 bottles of water overnight to try and resolve dry mouth. I also have dry nostrils and chapped lips year-round, so some of what my GP diagnosed as Fibro so many years ago may really be worsening Sjogren's. Time will tell, in the meantime I am happy to be on Cymbalta as it helps....
JazzyOne9254
on 7/23/14 1:51 pm

I have been using Cymbalta since *before* it was approved for Fibro ( I have a very smart doctor!) and it

does nothing to me if I have a drink or two.  Of course, everybody's different.

I have a DS...and alcohol gets through a DSer's system very fast, so many DSer's can drink most

people under the table!

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Racewalker48
on 7/23/14 2:06 pm
RNY on 02/17/14

I was prescribed Cymbalta for osteoarthritis pain.  It worked for a while, then the pain returned as my knees got worse.  I think it can work for some, but I would be careful with using it with alcohol.  I would check with your pharmacist to get more information and read the package insert.  There is usually information on use with alcohol.  By the way, Cymbalta is in a completely different drug class (SSRI) from amitriptyline (tricyclic antidepressant). They have different side effect profiles (amitryptiline is in general less well tolerated than drugs like Cymbalta), so your experience with it makes sense. Good luck.  

mermaidoz
on 1/31/15 11:54 am - Canada

Can tell you all that after several months, noticed Cymbalta less effective bafter a while at 60 mgs, and was having wild dreams and sweats at night, so was dropped back to 30 mg, and told to take in mornings. Frankly, no relief at that dosage, so have quit Cymbalta. Looking for something else for my pain.

the Mermaid

onikenbai
on 2/19/15 10:50 am - Canada

I find Cymbalta about as useful as tic tacs, although my doctor hasn't taken me off it yet for reasons unknown.  He has started me on gabbapentin, which I have found much more useful.  It's a general neurologic pain blocker.  For me, it also knocks me right out at night, which is great because I was getting less than two hours of sleep per night for months on end after they took me off the amitriptyline.  I turned into a sleep deprived zombie.  Now I get almost six hours sleep, which is way better and I can live on that.  I also moved some furniture the other day and I ended up in less pain the day after than I should have been.  I can also live with that.

Most Active
Recent Topics