FOBI POUCH REVISION

snowolf50
on 7/7/12 2:41 am - Colorado Springs, CO
I am scheduled for my revision on July 23.  They have told me about the complexities and complications of this revision.  Not only are they going to have to revise the stomach bypass, but remove the damaged intestine and cut 6-8 inches of new intestine to reconnect AND I have to be on a feeding tube for 4-6 weeks.  They can not do a lapro as I have way too much scar tissue due to the first Fobi surg. and the the 2nd one from complications of from the ring. I AM SCARED TO DEATH FOR THIS NEXT SURG!!!   My life has been nothing but medical problems since this surg. 15 years ago and I am still paying for it...grrrrr.....!!!!!!
snowolf50
on 7/7/12 6:12 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Hey how are you doing?  What does the lawyer think about your case?  Finally there are people out there ready to come forward...I am also highly perturbed that so many of my drs. never told me that taking anti-inflammatory meds would do damage to a bypass patient..grr...let me know about the court case as I have been reading some posting about people going back to the actual clinic of Dr. Fobi and he hym-ha's around and comes up with other reasons for the problems.  I even read where he refused to go back in and fix a problem caused by his technique b/c of insurance problems...REALLY???  I had mine done in Ft. Collins with a well known dr. who had done many trainings with Dr. Fobi and other places that specialize in this technique (and I loved my surgeon) but man...this has been a tough road to follow..... Good luck and keep me posted as I will you.  I am also on the Daily Strength online support...great site as Sheriew17

Have a great summer day :)
Jazi4me
on 11/14/12 11:30 pm

I also had the fobi pouch (FPO) done in 1988.  I had a revision to a RYN last month.  The scar tissue from the ring was so bad, that had it not been removed, I would be dead.  If you are having problems with your pouch, please look into it quickly.  A FPO revision is not the same surgery twice, but a life saving procedure.

srgchica
on 4/12/15 8:49 am

Hi Jazi4me,

I also had surgery back in 1988, ( the sapling and the band) but I am now having problems with my band.  Doctors said it needs removing.  If you are still on this board, please tell me about your RYN experience.  Does this mean you do not have the Fobi pouch.

Thanks,

srgchica

jj1999
on 3/18/20 8:42 pm

I had my surgery in 1999. I have not had any problems except the usual b12 deficiency and GERD. I hope I never have to have a revision. Hope 20 years does not become the year everything begins to deteriorate..

snowolf50
on 7/7/12 2:47 am - Colorado Springs, CO
ItsJustBeachie
on 12/5/11 3:38 am - Middle River, MD
Hi, I'm seven days post-op from what was to have been a "revision" to my Fobi Pouch which was performed by Dr. Fobi in 1992.  Although the whole weight gain, etc. was NOT due to the Fobi procedure (Bless Dr. Fobi!) but due to a fistula forming that reconnected the pouch to my former stomach and caused the  hunger hormones to be released (I consider that a matter of sh*t just happens and get over it), I am walking your path. 

Kuldeep Singh, MD did my procedure and was the only one of three with any "familiarity" of the Fobi pouch in the mid-Atlantic *****turned my calls. He'd never "revised" a Fobi and just flew by his brilliance and the seat of his pants, CT scans, an Upper GI, and my complete faith in him.

My procedure ultimately involved the repair of a huge hiatal hernia (undiagnosed by Kaiser), the removal of my gall bladder (there was sludge and surgery would eventually become necessary), and the disconnection of the tissue.

I have about six incisions, it only looks like stitches were required in one but the steri strips still cover all but one.  The drain came out on day 3 and I was sent home sans drain (thank God).  On Day 1, post op, I felt like I'd been hit by a car, Day 2, a Mack truck, Day 3, car, by Day 4, smaller moving vehicle.  The worst of the pain seems to come from my lower right abdomen and happens depending upon how I move which makes rolling over in bed something awful.

Diet wise, I am NOT hungry and the cravings are gone - hurray for the hormones being gone.  I'm being kept on liquids for two weeks to be on the safe side but I really don't miss much.  I've got my supply of Whole Foods 365 protein powder, soy milk, and Naked Protein Zone or whatever it is called.  I've learned how to make refried bean soup (little beef bouillion, taco bell hot sauce).  I am sticking to the same things I am sure of and adding little by little.  I would like some Whole Foods Tomato Bisque - maybe I can get my son to go pick up some tomorrow.  If I feel up to it, I may venture outside the house and take a walk down the block to the store tomorrow. 

The pain is the hindrance to the physical activity but I am home alone so I do have to do much on my own.  I've gone downstairs to visit my neighbors a couple of times.  I've done some minor household chores according to how I feel.  My biggest frustration is related to the pain and the limitations that come from it.  I'm on morphine which limits my ability to think which means I can't THINK. If I can't THINK, I can't RESEARCH, I can't WRITE.  So my "real" life is put on hold.  But thank God for morphine.   

I am still quite swollen although nothing like when I came out of surgery.  I know I've lost weight but the weight loss doesn't show in my mid section where I needed to lose it yet. 

I'm using myfitnesspal.com to log my food which is a requirement prior to my follow up with Dr. Singh next week.  I haven't had any dumping, no nausea. I will give you one very useful bit of advice. You can have STOMACH FREEZE.  It's akin to BRAIN FREEZE over cold? LMAO.  Since I can only drink down so much which makes the protein requirement had to do, I've been using less liquid in the shakes but really really wanted lots of ice yesterday.  I took a blessful swig and just wanted to cry.  Oh well, trial and error. Ha Ha  It could be worse. I AM laughing.

Kate

snowolf50
on 7/7/12 2:56 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Oh Kate thank you as I am up for my third full open surg...they can't do lapro and I am scared to of the pain...it was so bad 15  & 7 years ago I can no longer use morphine, dilauded etc...did you have to have a feeding tube like I am.  Thanks for your honesty!  PLEASE keep me posted....I have moved and my old surgeon retired so I had to find someone who would even touch me....and here is what they said...oh the fobi is essentially a RNY with a form of gastric banding!
Melly6950
on 3/18/12 6:32 am
Revision on 04/25/12
i appreciate all the support from my fellow bypassers! after longer than expected and having to find an alternate but also wonderfully qualified dr, i am scheduled for a revision on 4/25! i realize how blessed i am to be able to do this for a second time around with hopefully a much better outcome. only time will tell. thanks guys. i will keep you all posted! :)
EileenAZatgoal
on 3/30/12 4:33 am - Anthem, AZ
You are welcome.  Is Dr. Fobi still practicing?
If he is, could you please give me the information needed to contact him for an appointment.  The surgeon I had has retired.  He had studied with Dr. Fobi and Dr. Rouex in France.
Most Active