QUESTIONING FPO VS. TRADITIONAL RNY

Help Me R.
on 10/22/04 1:11 am - Inglewood, CA
I have a surgery date of 11/16, but located a place called The New Clinic in Orange County (Huntington Beach). On one of the information pages, their surgeons DON'T ADVISE HAVING A WLS THAT USES VGB OR ANY TYPE OF PLASTIC RINGS WTF??? Isn't that exactly what the Fobi Pouch is?? OMG. The reason, they say, is that over time, it is possible there could be some erosion of the band and that studies have shown that the band really doesn't have any greater effect in weight loss. :uh-oh: Please somebody respond. I am a self-pay, so going somewhere else really wouldn't be a problem! Rhonda
Bettyj
on 10/23/04 2:42 am - University City, MO
Fobi pouch is not the same thing as banding. Bands can stretch and the stomach then will become larger if you eat more than you should. The pouch is cut and a ring is used to support it, not regulate the size. That is my understanding. Look up on this site for information on the different types of WLS. Good luck on your journey. Betty
Help Me R.
on 10/25/04 6:13 am - Inglewood, CA
Thanks Betty & Bonnie for your replies. I think I was just freaking out , because today, I'm okay. There were other things going on in my life when I posted the questions. I'm ready, and I'm okay. Rhonda
(deactivated member)
on 10/23/04 2:50 am - Yucaipa, CA
I choose the Fobi because of the band. Food stays in our pouches longer and empties a lot slower, so I stay full longer. I suggest you look at ALL your options, the Fobi pouch may not be what is right for you!! And also other surgeons are not going to recommend something THEY don't do themselves. I personally don't recommend the staple surgery because I've met A LOT of people with staple lines that came undone from over eating. Just get educated before you do anything!!
Most Active