Recent Posts

hollykim
on 11/21/08 11:20 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
Topic: RE: I'd like to share my experience
Maybe the voc rehab people will contact your ins co for you to get it in writing? Maybe they wouldn't lie to them! I think the ins co has to give you a yes or no in writing... I also have Hearing loss in both ears.need HA"S and am going to check with the voc rehab office. Reason ffor my loss is unknown started when I was 24 yrs and I an 53 now. I had to leave nursing after 22 years when I became afraid I would miss hear something in an emergency situation. I knew I couldn't stop everyone and say "sorry?" ")
h
Hill_Star
on 5/16/08 5:54 pm
Topic: RE: CAPD and Tinnitus
HI...    I know how some people feel and some I don't.  I have been deaf my whole life and finally the doctor agreed to give me hearing-aids when I was 4 years old. If it hadn't been for my Mother....Bless her heart...I wouldn't be the person I am today. She's shown me that no matter what...I'm the same as anyone else...Deaf or not Deaf. With my hearing aids I hear some sounds, but not everything. The one thing that gets me by is been able to read lips. My eyes are my ears is what I always told my Mom. Because if it wasn't for my eyes....theres no way I would understand what the person talking to me would be saying. American Sign Language is something that you should really learn. It will make it easier to talk to some people. Another thing that I truly love is...Close Caption. That is a life saver! Also a TTY is something that comes in handy. They have programs that can help you get hearing-aids and devices to help a person with hard of hearing or the complete Deaf. Just because some of us can't hear....or have a hard time hearing...In my heart doesn't make any difference in the world of the Deaf. To me its all the same.... I think that it should be that way if a person over here is 100% Deaf and if a person over here on the other side is wearing a hearing device to help them hear is all the same. What difference should it make?? Does anyone else feel this way? I know some Deaf people that are rude and doesn't even wanna talk to a person if they are wearing hearing-aids. Why is that....I think if I was completely Deaf and this person talking to me could hear a little with hearing- aids...or could hear great with hearing-aids ,then I would say ....you're lucky and I'm glad that they work for you.

If you have any questions about trying to get some devices for the deaf please let me know and I'll see if I can get you one. Hope all is well. Have a great day!
Vicki PNW
on 3/25/08 3:46 pm
Christal C.
on 3/14/08 3:48 am - Wichita, KS
Topic: RE: I'd like to share my experience
I just wanted to say that I am thankful you posted your story. I can't imagine how it is to be going completely deaf and especially trying to work at the same time. I have CAPD with Tinnitus, it's very fustrating and hard to deal with but seems just like a nusiance when compared with your story. My family is very accomodating with my hearing issues...they speak up, repeat themselves, turn the TV up  louder, face me when speaking, and all sorts of other small things to help me out. All the little things really add up to help me out. My husband is willing to learn sign language if and or when my processing gets bad enough (I can hear fine but my brain doesn't process language correctly in alot of situations). Sometimes I feel sorry for myself and get worried about what's going to happen. But I shouldn't. Reading your story helped me put things into perspective. I am a stay at home mommy so I don't have to worry about the constant hard of hearing issues that result from that. I have worked for years as a secretary and I can understand the problems of not being able to understand what your boss is telling you to do or scared to answer the phone because you can't hear what they are saying. I think it's great that you are getting friends that you can sign with...I imagine that feeling of acceptance is awesome. Hopefully your family will understand what you are going through and help you out...I am sure it's a bit scary for them. Good luck with getting your hearing aids approved (by whomever!). ~ Christal
Renee W.
on 2/13/08 11:01 am - Muskegon, MI
Topic: RE: INTERPRETERS---APPTS, SURGERY

Hi, I am not hearing impaired but my sister is.  She actually works for the local deaf and hard of hearing center.  If you have any more questions, maybe I can put you in touch with her.  Good Luck.  

hangokid11
on 2/6/08 5:48 am - MT
I finally got the interpreter I wanted,  18+ years of experience, plus I know how she works! Perfect for me !!
hangokid11
on 1/31/08 1:26 am - MT
I've found 3 links that would help anyone in this situation in need of a certified interpreter in case you need to convey to your doctor, or the administration of the clinic/hospital. http://www.signlanguageresourcesinc.com/workingwithinterpreters.htm http://www.netac.rit.edu/downloads/TPSHT_Hire_Qual_Interp.pdf http://www.rid.org/UserFiles/File/pdfs/Standard_Practice_Papers/Drafts_June_2006/Professional_Sign_Language_Interpreter_SPP(1).pdf So far, I've emailed the adminstration and hope they get the idea of what I require at those appointments.  No response yet. ~Kelly
hangokid11
on 1/30/08 1:07 pm - MT
Topic: INTERPRETERS---APPTS, SURGERY
Hi, I'm Kelly and I'm deaf. (born that way)  I'm at the stage of meeting with the surgeon, nutrtional consult, and psych consult 15 days from now (Feb 14th is the date).  I've found that it's very very important to have clear communication between the professionals and myself if I want my surgery and my new lifestyle to be successful afterwards. Please be sure to have qualified and certified interpreters... I've found myself in a situation in the past that there was an interpreter who was very inadequate and thank god, no decisions were being made....just further tests, which I understood from lip reading. I told the assistant to never hire that interpreter again... and yet...the interpreter services are not quite up to par....because the interpreters do not have  5+ years experience in this type of major surgery and plus the services do not understand that 1 interpreter cannot interpret 4 hours straight of appts!!!  Limits are one hour and a half  for that interpreter and must have a 2nd one for the rest.   That goes for surgery as well   one interpreter for pre-op and another interpreter  for post-op, etc....    I'm still at the stage of trying to convince the hospital to hire qualified interpreters outside of that interpreter agency because this agency does not have the skills to hire qualified, professional interpreters.  (they just employ interpreters of all languages and  ASL interpreters is not their expertise....). I had contacted one of the interpreter agencies and asked for input, they said to keep complaining and fight for the right to have interpreters outside of that interpreter service agency of that hospital. We, patients, have the right to adequate and excellent care.  If anyone is in a similar situation and wants to have feedback or input or give feedback or give input, etc.... I'm here....  ~Kelly.
Nick D.
on 1/29/08 7:37 am - CT
Topic: RE: What ?
Just a test post.
Nick D.
on 1/29/08 7:33 am - CT
Most Active
Recent Topics
OT: Cold Case Sunday 3/30
Vicki PNW · 0 replies · 342 views
INTERPRETERS---APPTS, SURGERY
hangokid11 · 3 replies · 894 views