Really having a difficult time...

chrispy_man
on 6/22/13 12:37 am, edited 6/22/13 12:37 am - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
Same situation here. Recently went back and reviewed the information and maintenance diet by NUT and Dr gave me. I started following the rules and it has really helped. Even more than that I think I have made a lot of head way learning how this tool is used to control weight. IMO and in a lot of others, water, monitoring intake and exercise make all the difference. I literally have been able to lose a rate that is at least as good as after surgery by following the plan.

I think the 5-Day is a good start to understanding whats happening, but I dont think it goes far enough. Especially since being on liquid diet is the same as eating slider foods in a way. Withou****erloadiing you wont get the satiety feelings you need from your pouch.

Anyway I believe you can get back on track by following the centers advice and guidelines. If I can do it, you can too!!

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

dolly O.
on 7/23/13 2:10 pm - league city, TX
What diet did you follow? Please give details

Don't put a question mark where God has put a period! 
Dolly Oliver

chrispy_man
on 7/30/13 1:00 pm, edited 7/30/13 1:04 pm - Mystic, CT
RNY on 09/21/10 with
My Dr provides a 1200 calorie nutritionally based maintenance plan. Looks pretty standard compared to a lot of other plans out there. When I went back and thought about it and reread it. Focused on the basics Protein first, veggies, fruit etc.. Calories came in around 900+ based on low fat choices like chicken, turkey or tuna. I started following it and started losing at a good clip. Then made an appointment with the NUT.

She reviewed my food logs, my progress and we discussed my goals. My biggest issue was understanding how much I should be eating. I felt like I was chasing my own tail reading the posts here, diet advice, BMR calculations etc.. First thing she said was that I was eating too much protein (yes I was trying to eat 90-100 grams per day) and that my nutrition was not balanced enough. She helped me correct my plan and I committed to following it for two weeks to see what would happened. I kept losing weight so I am still following it. I have an appointment in August to see her again.

Here is a sample of my Dr & NUT approved plan (Center of Excellence facility)

Breakfast- 1 egg, 2 mini peppers, 1 chicken sausage or 3/4 ounce low fat cheese, 1 rice cake or corn crisp

Dairy Snack- Chobani Yogurt ( I like plain with splenda)

Lunch - 2 ounces of chicken breast, 1 cup of stir fry veggies or salad with low fat dressing

Snack - Apple sauce (1/4 cup) or fruit (1/2 apple or bannana) and 3/4 ounce low fat cheese

Dinner - 2 ounces of beef or fish or chicken breast, 1 cup of stir fry veggies or salad with low fat dressing

I do change it up quite a bit and I walk or exercise most days. I also actively practice fluid management and water loading. So I drink a min of 48 oz per day. Usually start out with water first in the morning, then coffee (caffinated), then breakfast. I usually wait 1-2 hours then start sipping.(decaf and non-calorie drinks) Around 11 I have my dairy snack, then waterload and have lunch 12 -1:00. Wait an hour or so then start sipping. My afternoon snack is around 4. After I get home form work I will waterload before dinner, have dinner. Usually I dont eat or drink after 10 PM unless I missed my protein or didnt drink enough.

Sounds more complicated than it really is and has been working really well for me. I cant say that this is what you should do exactly, thats why talking with your Dr or NUT is important. My understanding is that post surgery there is a very narrow calorie band that I have to stay in to lose. Above it I dont lose. Way above it I gain. The old rules no longer apply. I ca't eat 2000 calories a day and expect to maintain or lose weight. I didnt believe it until I tried. I didnt think it would wor****il it did. I questions my NUT hard about it because of all the stuff I read and heard. Funny thing is what I described above was always in the documentation the center provided.

Send me a message and I would be happy to fill in any blanks or answer questions.The system doesn't always tell me when someone replies to a post.

Chrispy

HW 440, SW 386, CW 229.8

Denise1973
on 7/30/13 4:14 pm - FL
April, I Just Read Your Post, And I Can't Believe There Is Someone Else Living In My World. I Had To Make Sure I Wadn't Sleep Posting.Hahahaha. I Am 2Years Out And Going Through The Exact Thing. I Have Said From The Beginning They Didn't Di Surgery On My brain. I Am So Stressed Out AboutGaining Weight Back , It Has Almost Become An Obsession. Buf I Am Doing It. Slowly. I ThinkFor Me Just Coming Back To This Forum Is A Step In Yhe Right Direction. I Am Ashamed Of Mysrlf, Going Through Rny And Not Strong Enough To Keep It Off. How Dumb Cani be. I Think I Am Almost Comforted Knowing I Am Not A Freak, That This Happens. I Have To Get My Head On Right. Thank You,For Your post

horrible_monster
on 10/11/13 11:25 am
VSG on 02/27/13

No sage advice here, but plenty of commiseration. I had a follow-up appointment with my surgeon's ARNP today and asked for a referral to a counselor because my eating has gotten so out of control. (And I'm only eight months out; this is madness, truly madness.) Take care of yourself and know you aren't alone.

I have a basement but don't dwell in it full time.

Most Active