BC/BS PPO Michigan, Plastic Surgery

WoolyBully
on 11/6/11 3:53 am - MI
I need to change insurance because my current plan is no longer offered by my company.

I have had a high BMI (63), my RNY, and should need Plastic next summer.

Does anybody have experience with Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Mi PPO and do they typically cover plastic surgery ofter weight loose as medically necessary or cosmetic.

Thanks
MichiganGal
on 11/14/11 10:55 pm - Tecumseh, MI
BCBS of MI is a great insurance to cover removal of excess skin on the abdomen.  You will meet the criteria so when your ready the procedure will not need to be pre-authorized.  You should wait until the weight loss has slowed down or stopped.  Although, in some cases with a high BMI it is medically necessary to remove the skin before all of the weight has been lost.
WoolyBully
on 11/16/11 9:50 am - MI
thanks for the response, that takes a load off my mind.

Unless it becomes medically necessary, I would rather wait so I only have one surgery.

I am still loosing, (163 lbs so far with about a 100 to go) so I hope to be ready for it around this time next year.

Thanks again.

Gary
PurplePresident
on 11/20/11 1:40 am
It raises my hope too! I am on NC state employee BCBS and I am in need of a lot of skin removal. 40+pounds of skin. I have dealt with issues of depression and I feel it coming on again. I don't think it is all due to my excess skin, but I know that it is one factor. One that I know how to alleviate. At my highest I weighed about 500 lbs. I am now at 210. I can't find clothing because my arms have so much excess skin that the sleeves don't fit. My grand daughter asked me  "why are your knees so big?" I wanted to cry. I have skin pooling and even my calves are baggy. I have come so far and I should be thrilled but I'm only sinking further into hopelessness. I don't know what to do. I know it's not gonna come to me, but I can't see where to go or what to do.       

Mica A. Welsh     Hi / pre-surg /currnt / goal  480 / 333 / 199 / 189

JoniMH
on 3/10/16 5:31 am

Hi MichiganGal, I too am from Michigan...I have reg Medicare part A and B, I also have full Medicaid with AARP for my prescription coverage. I had Gastric Bypass in 2000 which left me with a scar from my belly button to my breast bone. The muscles in my stomach were cut and therefore over the years and with weight gain have ballooned to the point of having this rather large upper stomach that sticks out. so my body consists of two rather large hanging muffin top's with a rash on and off between them. Do you have any idea if my insurance would pay to have a tummy tuck?

AllieB
on 3/16/12 1:41 am - MI
I hope the person that said they cover is right.  I went to see a plastic surgeon and with everything I need, they told me I need to get either rashes or pain documented for 3 months consecutively before they will turn it in into BSBS.  I started out over 400 lbs and lost almost 200. I was told I need my arms done, breast lift, TT, and LBL.  Maybe I need to see a different plastic surgeon!  Good luck!!

Most Active