Question about taxes!

bluek
on 12/27/11 12:39 am - Austin, TX
I had a revision to the bypass in May after the many complications I had from the lapband (which I had in 2006).  My insurance would not pay for the revision, so I ended up paying out of pocket over $20,000. I want to deduct this from my taxes.  My accountant says that I can do this as long as the surgery is not considered "cosmetic."  Has anyone been able to do this, and how do you "prove" that it is not "cosmetic"?
moonglo82
on 1/2/12 8:14 am
VSG on 03/29/12
Do you have any documentation that the lapband wasn't working for you? What was your BMI at the time of the revision? Blood pressure? Blood sugar?

I would imagine that, as long as you can document that you weren't in perfect health at the time of the revision, that would be justification enough.

Highest weight: 277 Starting Weight: 250  Surgery Weight: 241  Current Weight: 130

Goal Reached in 10.5 months :)

SANDRA62
on 5/21/13 2:02 pm

You can deduct medical expenses (even mileage to and from doctor & hospital) in the amount over 7.5% of your adjusted gross income...but this is an item in your ITEMIZED DEDUCTIONS---if you do not itemize (meaning you use the standard federal deduction) then the amount is moot.  go to the IRS website, print out a schedule A---this is where you would itemize your expenses (it's really NOT rocket science) fill in as much of the line items as possible (property taxes, mortgage interest, etc, etc...) if the end amount is bigger than your Standard Deduction...then you use that---this will only reduce your taxable income---meaninbg the amount of your income that taxes are calculated on.  So the bigger the deductions  the less you pay in taxes.  Also remember that medical expenses also include insurance premiums, contact lenses/glasses, dental expenses, any medical equipment or appliances (braces, crutches, etc) that you pay out of pocket for, co-pays...the IRS website www.irs.gov has a search box just look up deductible "medical expenses" there's a wealth of info there.

Hope this was clear as mud!  Sandra

Most Active