Dual Insurance Coverage?

rivergirl
on 5/12/13 3:41 am

I have insurance through both my employer and my husband's.  My primary is United Healthcare (mediocre coverage), and secondary is Cigna (fantastic coverage).  I meet the requirements for WLS with both companies, however UHC requires 6 months of physician monitored diet and Cigna only requires 3 months.  Do you think I can go ahead for Cigna approval after 3 months?  Will there be any payment issues with Cigna if UHC never approved the surgery?

Thanks!

hollykim
on 5/14/13 7:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

I don't know for sure and maybe someone else who knows more will post,but I think health care providers have to use the primary first because it is usually the one you have had the longest.

the secondary is not going to pay out before the primary because they all want to pay out the least amount possible,so I can't see your secondary stepping up to take on the bigger portion,not for any reason. I may be totally wrong,however.

GL

Nan2008
on 5/20/13 12:00 am - Midland, MI

I agree, the secondary is not going to pay before the primary pays.  You will need to meet the requirements of both insurances and the primary will be billed first and the secondary second.  I am also double covered and that is how it works.  My visits are covered by my primary first and then by my husband's insurance (secondary).

good luck!

Nan

Nan

HW 300
/ SW 280 / CW 138 /
GW 140
Hit Goal 4/2/2010

tennisrob101
on 5/26/13 10:12 pm - MD

I work in medical billing so I can say the primary insurance is the one that is going to be billed first is really does not matter which one you have had longer. Insurance you have on your own is always going to go as primary over insurance you have through a spouse. One thing that they are going to do is try to coordinate the benefits so any copay is probably going to fall under the secondary policy and not out of your pocket. I am going through the same thing, I have UHC as primary and Coventry as secondary through my wife because of the amount of health problems I have ( hench why I  want to get WLS). It is frustrating because neither is going to want to pay and more then likely try to pawn off the bill to the other. Good luck. 

Most Active