Buying insurance just for surgery?

LumpySpacePrincess
on 8/21/13 1:54 pm - New Milford, NJ

I'm buying an individual plan just for a few months to cover the surgery. Has anyone else done this? A little nervous about it, since I don't want to throw thousands of dollars away if I won't get approved, though I've heard that its easier to get approved on individual (non-group) plans since you're paying more. 

Just nervous about the whole thing.  Getting so big that moving around and taking care of myself is difficult, which it shouldn't be at only 33 years old. :( 

hollykim
on 8/28/13 3:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
I have never heard of a individual policy covering Wls because they know the average person plans to do do just what you are planning. Not saying that plan is wrong,just. That most individual policy carriers are wise to it. I would save the premiums I would be paying them and go to MX personally.
Gl

LumpySpacePrincess
on 9/8/13 10:23 pm - New Milford, NJ

Got my plan documents on Saturday and it has a special section about WLS, which is 100% covered under my plan as long as I haven't had a previous WLS in the last two years. Sending it off for approval this week!

Cindy1976
on 9/9/13 4:42 am
DS on 12/26/14

Wow!  That is awesome. Any chance you could share the name of the insurance company?  I'm just starting the process towards a revision (fingers crossed) and if I can't get it approved through my regular insurance I may check out this route before going self pay.  Also, if it's not too personal, can you give a rough idea of what your premiums are for this policy?

Congratulations and good luck!

woodartc
on 9/11/13 12:41 am
That's awesome! What insurance is it?
Special_KLJ2
on 9/20/13 4:17 am - Olathe, KS
Revision on 03/12/14

I live in KS and had Medicare and Medicaid, however, my surgeon was in Omaha and did not accept my KS Medicaid. I bought a BCBS of KS policy for only one month (the month I was scheduled for surgery) and they paid the difference that Medicare did not. 

Karen L. Johnson    
Kimmie40351
on 9/20/13 10:08 am

Please share details on this

Most Active