BCBS any hope? Weightloss surgery excluded

Aleena
on 1/22/16 8:46 am

I desperately need this surgery. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Montana. I was just told that BC/BS will not cover any medical anything to treat obesity...that they would cover appointments at the metabolic center if I had a comorbidity (I do not, I am just obese.), but they won't cover the surgery at all, for any reason.

Is there any hope? Doctors agree that I need this surgery but insurance doesn't care. Would I be able to get on another insurance now that I have started the process and there are records of my obesity and need for surgery? I mean, would other insurances pretty much consider me "uninsurable"? We went through a process to find an insurance in the first place because of my weight.

btw we pay for our insurance ourselves, it is not through work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

hollykim
on 1/22/16 1:15 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 22, 2016 at 4:46 PM Pacific Time, Aleena wrote:

I desperately need this surgery. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield in Montana. I was just told that BC/BS will not cover any medical anything to treat obesity...that they would cover appointments at the metabolic center if I had a comorbidity (I do not, I am just obese.), but they won't cover the surgery at all, for any reason.

Is there any hope? Doctors agree that I need this surgery but insurance doesn't care. Would I be able to get on another insurance now that I have started the process and there are records of my obesity and need for surgery? I mean, would other insurances pretty much consider me "uninsurable"? We went through a process to find an insurance in the first place because of my weight.

btw we pay for our insurance ourselves, it is not through work.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

no,if it is excluded on your policy,it. Means that you are not paying for bariatric coverage in your premiums. 

All you can do is get new insurance that covers it or self pay. Sorry to bear bad news.

Aleena
on 1/22/16 1:23 pm

That is what I figured. I was mostly just wondering if there would actually be a possibility of finding another insurance or if I am most likely going to be marked as "uninsurable" now as there are records of morbid obesity and my wanting to have bariatric surgery.

hollykim
on 1/22/16 3:56 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 22, 2016 at 9:23 PM Pacific Time, Aleena wrote:

That is what I figured. I was mostly just wondering if there would actually be a possibility of finding another insurance or if I am most likely going to be marked as "uninsurable" now as there are records of morbid obesity and my wanting to have bariatric surgery.

no,it is now illegal for insurance companies to deny coverage to ppl for pre existing conditions.

Mirandia
on 4/9/17 6:24 am
VSG on 03/14/17

visit a bariatric clinic and ask them what plans they accept. When I went for the introduction seminar I found out my insurance at the time didn't cover it ... but they had a list of all the insurance plans they did take ... so I waited for the next enrollment period 9 months later and switched. 8 months after that I finished the required appointments and tests and got approved, my surgery was a month after that.

(deactivated member)
on 4/3/16 2:44 pm

Check your state I live in Pennsylvania Blue Cross Blue Shield independent and they do nothing if you have an independent program as in not with a group there will be no coverage in pa  have tried multiple

Most Active