Insurance denied. Ideas about financial assistance?

Mary Beth S.
on 5/24/03 9:28 am - Valley Falls, KS
I have a dear friend that wants and needs WLS but her insurance has repeatedly denied it. I was wondering if anybody out there knew of some resources she could tap into to get financial assistance since she will be self-pay. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks, Mary Beth
Cynthia C.
on 5/24/03 1:20 pm - Bmt, TX
If it is Aetna tell her to read up on the latest lawsuit the medical profession has won against them. Just this past Thurs. May 22, they have agreed to work with medical profession more closely and pay out more claims . The doctors and medical societies around the US has filed and won this suit. They site that Aetna has stood in the way of their giving needed treatment to their patients due to nonpayment. I have Aenta and have been waiting since Jan 15 for my surgery to get scheduled. Meanwhile, my bp is up and my dr. just put me on glucophage (once used to treat diabetics) hoping that this may help me out. I have asthma, incontenience, sleep apnea and more - that makes it a little difficult to burn off calories the way I would like to. Anyway good luck to your friend. If nothing else get her go to a weight loss center that has a team that includes an attorney that will help you fight the insurance co. Afterall, your friend deserves to be treated in an ethical way ... if she has other illnesses and a family history of things like diabetetes she needs this surgery. These insurance companies are going to find (if they haven't already) that in the long haul, they will save much money by not having to pay for weight-related illnesses and yes that includes treatment for depression! A large portion of our country does not realize (because they are not wearing our shoes)what weight of over 100 lbs can do to one. You cannot breath therefore you are so exhausted you don't feel like walking. When you do walk you will probably end up with a heat rash between the legs and under the bra area ... then you will have to walk bowl-legged until the rash heals, you get sick more often and etc. Then what happens is you just continue to get more depressed, more ill and continue to gain. This is such a terrible disease that can so easily be cured now by having this surgery. I pray that the insurance companies will change their views and if not perhaps an attorney will! Neweigh located in Houston is an excellent place that has an advocacy group that works with the patient in helping them get their claim approved. They also have an attorney which advises them.
Most Active