Worried

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 6:08 am

Ok so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but I have been reading the boards today and it seems like everyone had to go on a  liquid diet prior to surgery and my surgery is next Thursday but my Dr. just told me to do Atkins for 2 weeks prior. no liquid diet.. is this wrong?  Should I be worried?

Celeste H.
on 12/3/08 6:13 am - Cedar Park, TX
Revision on 05/12/14
Nope, I only had to do clear liquids for the 24 hours immediately prior to my surgery. Before that, I was on high protein/low carb/low fat for about 5 days (to shrink your liver and keep it from being so fatty--very, very important for this surgery). Now, after my surgery was a different story because my surgeon is very conservative. I think I had two weeks of clear liquids, one week of full liquids, then on to mushies for a week.

Celeste in Austin, TX  - Licensed Professional Counselor - Clinical Supervisor 
LapBanded February 18, 2008; 3 slips and nearly a death later, had band removal then a revision to VSG on May 12, 2014; best decision ever!!!        

pepsi98
on 12/3/08 6:13 am - Norwich, CT
On December 3, 2008 at 2:08 PM Pacific Time, hero616 wrote:

Ok so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, but I have been reading the boards today and it seems like everyone had to go on a  liquid diet prior to surgery and my surgery is next Thursday but my Dr. just told me to do Atkins for 2 weeks prior. no liquid diet.. is this wrong?  Should I be worried?

I asked my MD's office the same thing and I was also told that there was no pre-op diet.  I was "encouraged" to lose some weight, but have not been able to.  I feel as though I am running down...with no way to go but up.  I'm looking forward to putting forth efforts to lose that may actually result in weight loss.  I feel as though I am swimming upstream against a strong current!
 "The Joy of the Lord is your strength."  Nehemiah 8:10

START:  330         CURRENT:  274.5 lbs         GOAL:  190          TOTAL:  55.5 lbs

wildheart63
on 12/3/08 6:14 am, edited 12/3/08 6:14 am - IL
every doc is different....your lucky as i also, some had to do it for a month...yikerssssssssss
good luck to you ans almost welcome to the bench! its just to shrink your liver!

a great christmas gift for yourself!
lori

robin304
on 12/3/08 6:15 am
I had to do two weeks Atkins too...I was banded November 25th...and now I have to do two weeks liquids....I was so sick of meat..but now I would looove to have a cheesburger...no bun...enjoy!
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 6:24 am - Los Angeles, CA
Manda P.
on 12/3/08 6:30 am - Dillsburg, PA
I didn't have to do any pre-op low carb dieting or liquid dieting.  My instructions were simple.  No food, drink or smoking after midnight the night before. 

Every Dr. is different with his or her pre-op and post-op preferences.

Post op, I did 2 days clear liquids, 10 days full liquids, and 2 weeks soft food.  I've seen tons of variation on post-op and pre-op care.  The important thing is listen to your body and listen to your surgeon.
Height 5'8"/Highest 275/Day of Surgery 265/Goal 155-165ish 8.2ccs in a 10cc Band

(deactivated member)
on 12/3/08 6:50 am
Thanks so much! i was thinking there was something wrong with my Dr. lol you know how it is right before surgery you get all nervous and start questioning everything... What can i say ,i'm a worrier Thanks for all of your comments though! i'm sure there will be many more questions to come
Jean M.
on 12/3/08 7:02 am
Revision on 08/16/12
Every surgeon seems to have a different protocol.

I had to do a 1200-cal/day, low-sodium, low-fat diet for 4 weeks prior to my band surgery, then 3 days of clear liquids.

2 weeks of an Atkins type diet sounds reasonable to me because it restricts carbs, and carbohydrate metabolism puts a strain on your liver.  The main purpose of any pre-op diet is to reduce the size of your liver and make its texture less slippery, so it is easier to maneuver during surgery.

I know another OH bandster who had absolutely no pre-op diet - just no food or liquid after midnight the night before - and her surgery went fine.

My surgeon told me that if he didn't like the looks of my liver once he got his scope inside me, he would bail out of the surgery, so I was highly motivated to stick to the pre-op diet.  And I lost weight while doing it, which was a good thing!

Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

carolw1229
on 12/3/08 7:52 am
VSG on 10/18/17
My Realize Band surgery is Dec. 10th and there is no special  pre-op diet for me. However, I have begun having a protein shake for breakfast and eating a low fat, protein diet for this week prior to surgery. My doctor said it is related to how high your BMI is. At 60+ he does a pre-op diet.
Most Active