Last and Final meeting w/surgeon ended in a SCREAMING match!!

Christine S.
on 3/23/11 6:24 am
Hello everyone -

I am so annoyed/angry/shocked at what happened today I cannot even express it.

I had the Realize band put in on 5/4/2010. Had my first fill in July. Right off the bat the Dr couldn't find the port to fill the band. Took a few tries, NOT fun but I dealt with it. I followed the program to the letter. Liquids, purees, soft foods. Wasn't getting restriction though and I kept telling him that. Two more fills - both with equal difficulty in finding the port and still no restriction. The Dr  kept insisting I must not be doing something right which is why I was not losing and that it was basically my issue. He said I must not  be eating the right things or I was not exercising. I told him I was doing all the things I was supposed to be.  The other Dr in the practice(whose reputation was the reason I went there but didn't take my insurance) had trouble finding the port as well so he suggested a fluoroscopy.  Low and behold there was a hole in the tubing. So, I had a revision in December. After the revision I have been in constant pain. I have called and complained and called and complained and gotten nowhere. Finally I called and said I wanted it out. I even asked about removing the band and doing the sleeve.

So , today was my meeting with this "Dr" to talk to him about removing the band and possibly revising it to VSG.  Well, he basically told me it was MY fault I had lost no weight. That I "don't want to exercise" and I "obviously don't want to follow the program". He also said he would never to the sleeve on me because it would always be "some excuse with you" so why would he bother. I thought that was a wonderful way to speak to a patient. He never acknowledged that the first 6 months I had the band it was not working correctly - that wasn't his fault apparently. Everything that did not "work" was my fault. He also went as far as to tell me the next time I "bash" him or "threaten to sue" him on Obesity Help there would be "trouble". So apparently he looks at what his patients write about him uses that against them. Again, real professional.   This meeting escalated into a screaming match where he just continued to reiterate that it was my "fault" that band had not worked and nothing would work for me because I didn't want to follow the "rules".  I finally got up told him I wanted my records and would find another surgeon. He was fine with that.

Needless to say I left there furious, humiliated, embarrassed, upset- you name it. This Dr has NO bedside manner, is arrogant and totally lacks compassion. He is obviously in this line of work for the money and does not care about the patients. The way he treated me was not only unprofessional and childish but just plain rude. I am sure he will read this as well, and I really don't care. Surgery does not always work the same for everyone. If the SURGEON can't admit that and admit that sometimes things don't go "by the book" than he should not be dealing with people. At least not people who are awake!!

I have sent in a request for my records and now need to find a surgeon to take this damn thing out. I am in such pain that there are days sitting up straight is difficult. I really eat nothing anymore because it hurts to much and pretty much live on protein shakes. I am so hungry most times that it hurts - if that make sense - and am getting a little depressed with the whole situation.

So, anyone out there who can recommend a HUMAN BEING in Monmouth or Ocean County NJ I could possibly switch to? I will even travel  up north if I need to. Don't care - just want this damn things out and don't want this arrogant **** touching me.

There will be "trouble" if I post anything in this forum - who the F*CK does he think he is?!?! Like I said Arrogant!! I will write whatever I WANT about him on here - that is what this board is for anyway. Not for surgeons to have their egos stroked.

HELP!!! :) 

Andrea H.
on 3/23/11 6:38 am - Middletown, NJ
VSG on 04/08/13
 Hi Christine, sorry for all that you have been going through and are still going through.  I live in Middletown, and I recently had my surgery in December.  My surgeon is Dr. Sowemimo, he has an office in Holmdel and one in Freehold.  He is with another surgeon Dr. Adyeri. They were both in the OR with me, but Dr. Sowemimo did my surgery.  They are both great doctors.  

I hope this helps.  Good luck to you!  Let me know if you need any more information.

HW 300, SW (Realize Band) 268, Revision to VSG 264

Christine S.
on 3/23/11 10:04 am
Hi Andrea -

Thanks so much! I have actually already called Dr. Sowemimo and as soon as I get my records I am going to fax them over. I just hope he will take me! I am in middletown too btw - we should meet up for coffee! :) 

Christine
Nic M
on 3/23/11 6:41 am
I'm so sorry.  Believe me, bad doctors always show their true colors sooner or later. People are only fooled for so long. A GOOD doctor doesn't talk down to a patient, either.

My surgeon was a grade A asshole, too, so I feel for you! 

It sounds as if your band is faulty, especially if there has been proven to be a leak in the tubing!  Even if it worked properly, it doesn't mean the band will work for YOU. It says right in the literature that it doesn't work for everyone. NOT the patient's fault! 

I hope you can find a different doctor who will help you succeed. You can fire a doctor, you know... I did mine! I would have kicked the bucket if I hadn't! It's important to take charge of your own health. Some doctors are just not the greatest people and they don't all have altruistic motives, that's for sure.

Take care. I'm really sorry you're going through this.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

PameW
on 3/23/11 6:42 am
Sorry to hear that you have had such an issue. This man sounds so very unprofessional! That is sad. Get your records and run!
Hislady
on 3/23/11 7:32 am - Vancouver, WA
Don't have any docs for you but I sure would report him to the insurance company and the state medical board. He is dangerous and should be kept away from innocent, unsuspecting people! Good luck!
alr1277
on 3/23/11 7:35 am
I see Dr Mehta in new brunswick. He has been great and I have had some issues myself.

wendyb315
on 3/23/11 8:09 am
I go to Dr. Mehta also.  I would highly recommend him.  Excellent surgeon, very professional and his office staff is great!
karianne
on 3/23/11 7:53 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
OMG what an a**hole.  I never thought for a moment that surgeons were on these boards, never mind tracking their patients and then to threaten you?  I'm so sorry for your crappy situation and I hope you can find a wonderful compassionate surgeon to help you!   Kari

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Christine S.
on 3/23/11 10:05 am
Thanks Kari! 

I love your comment even MORE because you are a Red Sox fan!! :) 

Christine
Most Active