O.J.

veenie73
on 4/9/11 1:19 am - Louisville, KY
Can you drink orange juice with the Lap-Band??? My husband loves o.j. and his about to start his liqiud diet. He wanted to know if you can drink it and if so what kind.
Any suggestions???
The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time...   

psychomom
on 4/9/11 1:30 am - China Grove, NC
Juices are really high in sugar so you have to be careful . After surgery I tried some sugar free OJ and it made me sick a s dog. No vomitting just extremely sick on my tummy and miserable.LOL  You have to be just as careful about liquid calories as you are about edible ones . Even sugar free juices contain some sugar and calories so I just skip them all together . Not worth it.   Have him try some of the orange flavored water additives like Crystal lite and even walmart and target have a line .There is an orange flavored on I love it is like Morning Burst or something .Good stuff and no cals or sugar !!!! :)

veenie73
on 4/9/11 1:47 am - Louisville, KY
Thanks, I have some of that here already. I like it. I will see if he likes it.
Stephanie M.
on 4/9/11 1:32 am
Hi Veenie...I was told no liquid calories at this time.  I did, however make my protein drinks with skim milk (with the permission of my nutritionist) but was told no juice.  I just bought some Trop 50 for my hubbie and grandkids to try and it is good...50 calories in 8 oz...so maybe if he is 100% compliant with his diet each day, a 4 oz glass might be ok, once per day.  Check with the nutritionist.
What's his surgery date??

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

veenie73
on 4/9/11 1:45 am - Louisville, KY
Hey Steph!!! His surgery date is April 27th. He asked me this morning about the o.j. and I had no idea. I don't drink it because I have GERD. So I didn't know. He LOVES orange juice. He said that is one liquid that fills him up. I will get some Trop 50 for him while he is on his liquid diet and measure it out for him ( you know we have to do everything for the men) LOL!!!

I didn't just email our nutritionist to ask about it, but I thought I would ask ppl that know first hand.

Thanks
The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time...   

Stephanie M.
on 4/9/11 2:20 am
4 oz of Trop50 is 25 cal (6 gr carb), not a huge contribution to the carb-load.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Deena S.
on 4/9/11 1:33 am - Odessa, TX
No orange juice.  Too much sugar in it and too acidic.  I'm 3 weeks post op and I'm still not allowed to have anything citrus.  So it's probably best just to skip it all together for now.

Deena

Deena
Top weight 240 pounds
Lap band surgery March 21st, 2011
Start weight 201
Weight on July 30th-162 pounds
Goal weight 125-I'm half way there!

crystal M.
on 4/9/11 2:17 am - Joliet, IL
I too was told no liquid calories.  So no juice, coffee, soda, beer...so on.  I was told if I want apple juice I should have an apple (without the skin...I have trouble with skin).  The key here is too make sure all calories going into your pouch have bulk , so as to give you that full feeling.  You don't want to fill up on liquid calories that will flow right through your band.  I stay around 1200 calories and I wouldn't want to use 100 or so of those calories on something that won't make me feel satiated for a few hours.  Not to mention liquid calories can add up during thday...100 here and 100 calories there...I would run it by his surgeon and see what he thinks.  Mine was strict...but now I appreciate the strictness.
D. Scott
on 4/9/11 2:28 am
RNY with
oops, i just said I wasn't told I couldnt have juice and you reminded me. They said the same to me which was dont drink fruit juice, eat the whole fruit to get the added fiber as well. Thanks for the reminder.

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

D. Scott
on 4/9/11 2:26 am
RNY with
I was never told I couldnt drink OJ however in the first few weeks I would be concerned about the acidity of it. Having just gone through an ulcer I can tell you OJ burned so bad going down. Plus as a previous poster mentioned it is high in sugar. I am sure if its his small indulgence and he is aware of these things he will be fine. I mean everyone of us must have something we know is caloric but we endulge in it sometimes (like chocolate, lol). OJ certainly isn't the worst thing in thing in the world he could pick.

Sleeve Revision from Lap-band November 23, 2012

Starting Weight: 236 Lowest Weight w/ Lap-Band: 160 Current Weight: 190

Goal Weight: 150...40lbs to go

Most Active