When do you decide that this just isn't right?

nkara
on 4/10/11 8:46 am
 So the long and short of it... had surgery a year ago November and so far I've had not too many problems.  I've had a few stuck episodes... maybe 5 total.  I've had issues with being too tight so I had some fluid taken out.... but I am just not loosing weight.  I initially lost 37 lbs then after my slight unfill I gained back about 10 lbs and I just can't seem to loose.  Of course I've been to the doctor and dietician and I do exercise.  

When do you decide enough is enough and either have it removed or revised?  I'm getting pretty annoyed that I went through all this pain and haven't been able to see success.  I have 2 other friends who have had the procedure with no success as well.  One is revising to RNY and the other one I'm not sure what she'll do. 

Any advice or suggestions would be great. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Bette B.
on 4/10/11 8:52 am
   Of course I've been to the doctor and dietician

And what have they said?

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

nkara
on 4/10/11 8:54 am
 they said I'm doing fine... blah blah blah.. I don't consider loosing 30 lbs in over a year good.  The nutritionist said I'm eating fine ... just to switch it up ... I have **** poor metabolism and I have had some nurses I work with suggest maybe I'm metabolically challenged that's why it isn't working. 

Realize Band 11/2009 ... revision to RNY 12/27/11. 

Bette B.
on 4/10/11 9:13 am
 I'm not going to say that losing and keeping off 30 pounds in a year is bad. But I can understand your frustration. Have they done an upper GI to make sure that it's placed correctly? How are you eating? Are you feeling satisfied with small amounts of food, and staying full-feeling for a few hours? If you're not, then something isn't working right. If you ARE, and you're exercising and doing everything right (which is sounds like you are) maybe you need to see your PCP to find out if there IS a problem with your metabolism or something else.

(shrugs) Personally, I'd try to rule out everything before I went into another surgery, since the "something else) may keep ANY surgery from working. Just my two cents.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Stephanie M.
on 4/11/11 12:56 am
Hi there!  I checked out your profile and it says your BMI is 27.3...just 2 above high normal, so it is no wonder you are having trouble losing!  I would cut the carbs, up the protein and change up the exercise routine to bust out those last pounds.  Lower BMI folks lose slower than MOB folks...
Be thankful for that BMI, if mine was 27.3 I would weigh about 164 and be only 14 lbs above goal and absolutely thrilled!
Hang in there and enjoy where you are.... Steph

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

LuciousLA & Babylapband
on 4/10/11 9:15 am - Greenbelt, MD
Lap Band on 02/13/06 with
When you had a slight unfill, how much did you hav and how much was removed. Maybe too much was taken out and you may have to get small fill until you get to a point of not being too tight.
steelerfan1
on 4/10/11 9:22 am, edited 4/10/11 9:22 am
How many calories are you eating a day ?

I was going way low on my calories and if I go below 1100 to 1000 calories per day I can not lose any weight I stalled for four weeks trying to figure out what I was doing wrong till the girls mentioned it on here .

I have to eat now between 1200-1400 per day and snacks to keep my metabolism going . Anything less then that no weight loss for me

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

psychomom
on 4/10/11 9:22 am - China Grove, NC
I agree with Bette . I would rule out everything else before just writing this off as a failure and getting another surgery. Maybe try weighing and measuring and logging everything you eat and drink and see if there is something you need to change. It can be something so small and easy to have overlooked. Also when was your last fill ? Even though you have had to have some taken out before your body may have changed and you may need a little fill. There are alot of variables. Maybe try a plateau busters diet to jump start your metabolism . There are plenty of things to try before you give up on your band.

naph_jam
on 4/10/11 11:59 am - Murfreesboro, TN
I would also suggest seeing your primary care doctor.  I'm not sure if it is typical for all doctors, but my PCP did a WHOLE LOT of tests before my surgery, checking my thyroid, my metabolism, basically anything that would effect my weightloss.  I do have PCOS, which can present challenges with weight loss.  Also, have you discussed this with your WLS surgeon?  Surely, he has had patients before in your situation

Kate -True Brit
on 4/10/11 7:24 pm - UK

I can understand your frustration and that you are thinking of removing/revising.

My opinion (and that is all it is, a personal view!) is that a year is not that long and that you should go back to real basics to give it another try. Then if it still isn't working when you really, truly know you have given it your very best shot - then move on!

If you are working with your doc and your dietician, then the following comments are probably unhelpful! But just in case...!

First thing - if you eat fewer calories than you burn, then, with or without your band, you must burn stored energy i.e. fat. So somehow you are taking in too many cals for your own physiology. It may be that you have medical or metabolic issues which mean you need fewer calories than many people but the basic principle remains!

Have you really buckled down and counted and measured with real accuracy?

My best wishes, anyway!

Kate

Highest 290, Banded - 248   Lowest 139 (too thin!). Comfort zone 155-165.

Happily banded since May 2006.  Regain of 28lbs 2013-14.  ALL GONE!

But some has returned! Up to 175, argh! Off we go again,

Most Active