Port Flip

meggiekat
on 4/14/11 5:42 am - Robins, IA
Lap Band on 02/12/11 with
I went in for my first fill today and was super excited, especially because my weight loss is getting much slower as of late. Unfortunately, my port flipped and they couldn't manipulate it to the point were it was accessible. So now I have to wait until April 25 to get filled...only if the male doctor can manipulate the port. If that doesn't work, they're going to have to go in and manually flip the port.

I'm pretty upset, has this happened to anyone else? Any advice?

Yelena K.
on 4/14/11 10:13 am - Plymouth, MN
 I have heard this happen before, and I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with it. I am not sure if it's due to the way the doctor sewed the port in. Either way, I hope all goes well and the port moves back into place. Do a lot of wiggling and dancing. Hehe Maybe it'll help? Good luck during your next appointment!

2019: 11 years out and maintaining a loss of 150lbs.

Follow me:

www.morethanmyweight.com

www.facebook.com/morethanmyweight

www.youtube.com/morethanmyweight

karianne
on 4/14/11 10:16 am - Marlborough, MA
Revision on 04/05/12
So sorry!!! This also happened to me when I went in for my very first fill and I was soooo excited.  Everytime my surgeon went to give the fill the needle came out bent so he knew it was flipped.  Had a quick day surgery to get it fix and had my first fill on the surgery table LOL.  I actually had a second port flip 3 months later and had another day surgery to fix that one too.  **This was 7 yrs ago when the band here in the states was pretty new, I was my surgeons 20th band he placed so he was still learning at the time, he triple stitched the port and here I am 7yrs later with no issues. 

The good news is this is a tiny bump in the road and it was really no big deal to get it fixed, I felt normal and back to work within a few days.  Goodluck, Karianne

HW-244, SW-234, CW-207
4/8/04 Lap-band-Goal weight for 5 yrs, Tummy Tuck 6/23/08
Lap-band Leak 4/2011, Revision to Gastric Bypass 4/5/12

Norma 1010
on 4/14/11 12:34 pm - Pflugerville, TX
I just had surgery for a flipped port on 3/25/11 (my initial surgery was on 10/15/10). My surgeon tried to reposition it under fluoro, but wasn't able to, but the surgery went ok, it was done under conscious sedation.  Alittle worried though, because I went to see my surgeon for my post op visit and to get a fill on  3/5/11 and he had alittle trouble accessing the port.  He said it was probably because there was probably still some swelling. Hope he's right. I did get a fill and definitely feel the difference.

NORMA

WITH GOD, EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE.

HW:   317 lbs
GW:   180 lbs
CW:   285

Jean M.
on 4/14/11 9:53 pm
Revision on 08/16/12
My port flipped when I was 2 years post-op. I had outpatient surgery to reposition it last year.

Before the repair surgery, the only way my surgeon was able to access my port was with me on an x-ray machine, but it was still difficult and the whole thing was ridiculously expensive and time-consuming. A fill in her office is about $300 and the fill in radiology was something like $1200, plus it used up an entire day what with traveling to and from Memphis and waiting around in the hospital...so I was glad to have the repair surgery. And I haven't had any problems since then.

Good luck!
Jean

Jean McMillan c.2009-2013 - Always a bandster at heart
author of Bandwagon (TM), Strategies for Success  with the Adjustable Gastric Band & Bandwagon Cookery. Bandwagon for Kindle now available on Amazon.  Read my blog at: jean-onthebandwagon.blogspot.com 

Most Active