Healing?

patriceo
on 4/13/11 10:09 am
Ok so I am 9 days post op and I am wondering, how can I tell when I have started healing from the surgery?  I have no fluid in my band and I feel I can eat almost ANYTHING.  I am scared because I think I have eaten too much mashed potatoes while at first I could barely eat anything. I am also burping now more and I am not as thirsty as I was but I am still thirsty.  Anything to be alarmed about?
God give me the courage to change the things that I can

(deactivated member)
on 4/13/11 10:21 am - San Diego, CA
Well the absolute BEST way to ensure you have not eaten too much is to weigh and measure everything you put into your mouth (your doctor should have given you guidelines to follow as to how much to eat of what at the different post-op stages).  When you're done with the measured food, that's it...don't eat any more than that and do not drink anything afterwards for 30 minutes.  There is nothing to be scared of my dear.  You got this!!!  Measure, weigh, no worries! :)  If you do not have a guidelines manual to reference from your surgeon (which you definitely should have received), please let me know and I can provide you with a copy of mine via e-mail so you have something to go by.  Good luck!
patriceo
on 4/13/11 10:54 am
They didn't tell me exactly.  I was told that after 3 or 4 bites that I am full but that hasn't worked exactly.  I need an EXACT amount this is the only way for me to be successful at this.

John B.
on 4/13/11 11:17 am - Blackstone, MA
 You definitely want a guide to go by. I am surprised your doctor didn't give you any type of paper work I would take Lisa up on her offer of emailing you a copy of hers. I would have been lost without mine and never would have made it this far. I still look at mine every time I am in question..  Good Luck , you can do it and you will. DETERMINATION & MODERATION..  :)
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
patriceo
on 4/13/11 11:21 am
My docs did give me a guide like the do's don'ts after surgery and how to progress. But I am not sure of how much I should be eating during the different phases.  They say after 3 or 4 you are full but I feel like I can eat a horse!  I need an exact amount of the mushies that I should be eating.  I am a numbers person and just saying 3 or 4 bites is not going to cut it for me.  How far out are you?

debbie H.
on 4/13/11 11:16 am - AR
You are healing.  For most, it takes 5 or 6 weeks.  Some docs say measure food by weight, some by cups.  My doc said a cup of food, after I was off liquids.  1/2 cup protein, 1/4 cup veggies, 1/4 cup carbs, but eat the protein first because it satisfies hunger.  My first proteins were cottege cheese, tuna or chicken salad, and pinto and other beans, when I was on mushies.  The veggies were easy for me.  The burping...well since surgery, (for me mid January)  I've just been gassier than I used to be.  I don't know that, that's true for everyone.  Just be sure you're drinking water, water, and more water.  Different docs expect different amts., but most really push water. 

patriceo
on 4/13/11 11:23 am
Yes I have been trying to get as much water as possible although it is still hard with me also having to get in 60 oz of protein too!  I am afraid of eating or drinking too much and causing my pouch to stretch!  This has me beyond stressed!

psychomom
on 4/13/11 11:22 am - China Grove, NC
9 days out I was still on liquids but when you progress do so slowly cause you might still be swollen from surgery . Hang in there it is a trial and error thing sometimes :) You will probably be able to eat almost anything til you get a little restriction going on after a fill or two so the first few wks you kinda have to do the whole D WORD....diet . :( i know it is tough but YOU CAN DO IT !!!! You have made it this far.:)

patriceo
on 4/13/11 11:28 am
I am trying.  I am about to go and buy a food scale.  Funny thing is when my doc banded me there was 3 cc of fluid in it and he ended up having to take it all out because I was having acid reflux too much but I swear I didn't want much of anything and now I feel as if I can't stop eating!!!!!!!!!!

John B.
on 4/13/11 11:49 am - Blackstone, MA
 I had the same problem. The band was so tight that I couldn't drink the fluid to do the test to check the band. They took out all the fluid and I to am pretty much able to eat and drink anything and as much. But I refuse to and I measure all my food. 3 Oz of protein 1/4 cup starch or carbs 1/2 cup of veggies. I do this for all my meals even though I feel like I can keep eating. My 1st fill will be on Monday 4-18. We'll see what it feels like then. I think you should pick up a scale and weigh out all your meals, also I find using a smaller plate really helps give the illusion of alot of food.. 
LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Most Active