bite size

fergusoncd540
on 4/25/11 10:55 am
This may seem like a crazy question; however, I have been pondering.  What is the typical size bite of food that you should take to ensure that it will not be too large to chew correctly to go through the pouch.  Also, how long should be wait between bits?  Curiousity is getting the best of me!!!

crystal M.
on 4/25/11 10:59 am - Joliet, IL
A lot of people will say the size of a pencil eraser...but I find this way too small.  So I would say my average size is a little bigger....maybe the size of a marble.  I make sure I chew well and have had no problems with this size bite.
fergusoncd540
on 4/25/11 11:07 am
Wow!  Thanks!  I know my bites are much larger, but I am going to get a fill in 2 weeks.  So, i am going to start "practicing" with smaller bits. 

dlee40
on 4/25/11 11:48 am - TX
I heard somebody say (or maybe I read it somewhere) just in the last day or so -- it should be no larger than what you'd give a baby. Of course, that's not a lot of help. How big/old a baby? Still, for a toddler, it would be bigger than an eraser and less than a nickle. Does that help?
kathkeb
on 4/25/11 12:17 pm
I cut steak, chicken, pork into very small pieces --- about 1/2 inch cubes or smaller.
I can turn 3 oz of steak into about 25 bites

I chew thoroughly and swallow the food before I put another bite into my mouth.

That is why I don't eat sandwiches -- it is not that I can't eat bread, but I can't take a big enough bite to eat bread and meat/cheese all at the same time.

Occasionally, I will eat a juicy burger (with bread) in mice-sized bites.
Kath

Wendybrum
on 4/25/11 12:29 pm - Oceanside, NY
 i was told 1/2 a dime.
wendy

Suzanne K.
on 4/25/11 11:58 pm - NJ
 the smaller the bite, the better my band/pouch feels.....it's kinda trial and error....

for me a good rule of thumb is a bite size can be the finger tip of your pinkie......for solid foods....and chew chew chew very well!

pureed and liquid, i can easily take in 1 table spoon with no major issues.....

i usually wait 1 to 2 minutes in between bites.....my nutritionist says 5 minutes but i don't wait that long!

Stephanie M.
on 4/26/11 12:36 am
M&M size

Pencil eraser size
tic tac size

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Jill P.
on 4/26/11 1:56 am - United Kingdom
A teaspoon works well..slows you right down too!

fergusoncd540
on 4/28/11 1:01 pm
Thank you for all of the wonderful answers. It truly tells me that my bites have been too large and I am working on making my bites much, much smaller! Again, thank you!!
Most Active