Letting go of big clothes

jrspriggs
on 4/26/11 3:34 am - MD
So, I am going through my closet trying to get rid of my clothes that are too big...exciting right? I have only lost 34lbs but I have gone down 2 dress sizes (depending on the manufacture). My problem is that the inner fat girl in me is telling me not to get rid of them, what if I gain the weight back! I know it sounds crazy, but I can't shut her up! I am sure I am not the only one who this has happened to, how did you handle it?
Jenny S
Amy D.
on 4/26/11 3:46 am - Stratford, Canada

I have gradually gotten rid of things over the last two years but I decided a few weeks ago that I needed to spring clean so I pulled everything out of the closet, cleaned and then made my self try on EVERYTHING and purge anything too big.  I now have 89 empty hangers!   It feels awesome BUT now I need to go shopping as I have no T-shirts left.

debbie H.
on 4/26/11 3:48 am - AR
I'm having the same problem, and have probably lost a little less weight than you.  Now, I don't wear dresses, but could let go of some tops.  It will probably take about 8 to 10 more pounds for pants, though they had gotten sooo tight, and now they are either comfortable or a little loose, or I'm rolling the waistband down 1 roll.  Gonna check this thread cause I'm quite interested in these answers too.

bubblesrn
on 4/26/11 3:48 am
Lap Band on 02/22/08 with
I saved all of my old "bigger" clothes UNTIL... I started my support groups.  Once every other month we do a clothing exchange.  It gets quite expensive to keep buying new clothes every month so our support group decided to save all of them and help each other out and it's been working beautifully.  I still had some clothing with the tags on them because I couldn't get to them before I went down another size!  LOL!
Maybe look into something like that?

Take care!
Janice

all the weight has been lost post-op..I LOVE MY BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

highest weight: 333 pounds (I know I gained after my last "weigh in" in the doctors office so probably it's more like 340 pounds)
current weight: 151 pounds (7/12/11)
I've been at goal (165 pounds) for 6 months now and now on maintence.  I tend to go up and down depending on time of the month and such! 

Tooty
on 4/26/11 3:52 am - Germantown, TN
I went through the same thing...I'm short so It's hard to find clothes for me to fit in length at any size, but was even harder when I was heavy.

I finally got rid of all of my "fat" clothes.  I found that just looking at them in the closet was affecting my mood- as I carried memories and feelings with those clothes...(I would remember how bad I looked in one picture when I wore a particular shirt, or how bad I felt wearing a pair of pants because they were too tight...etc)....

After I threw them all away, I have finally let go of those feelings...I really think that hanging onto them was affecting my thoughts/feelings...

So, I say Toss EM Quick!! 
Cathlena - 39, 4'11"   Start - 210  3/31/09    BMI  Start: 42.4    
 LilySlim - (OdX3)
Lisaizme
on 4/26/11 4:12 am - TX
I had no trouble letting go the 5x & 6x clothing.  I did keep two outfits for memories sake.

The 2 & 3x are a little more troublesome.   I think it's because I was at that size for so long, that mentally it feels comfortable?  I don't really trust that I can maintain a 16 yet.

I think time will cure this reluctance.

Why not keep one or two favorite outfits for memory, or "the way I was" and give the rest to a friend who might need them or freecycle them.  www.freecycle.org  
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Chashton
on 4/26/11 4:38 am - NY
I'm having the same problem.  I'm down 46 lbs and I keep saying "but what if I gain it back"? 

So I know how you feel.  Losing weight before I have every size in my closet..but I decided that I am going to give away my clothes and keep nothing.

Good Luck.

Denise
babynurse1217
on 4/26/11 5:22 am - NC

I went clothes shopping yesterday and am down 1 size in some things and 2 in others.  I haven't gotten rid of any clothing yet, but it was an awesome moment to realize that I was in smaller clothing.  I tried on everything twice just to make sure I hadn't made a mistake.   I think the first things I will get rid of are my old bras and some workout t-shirts.  I have to keep fidgeting with them during exercise and it's annoying. 

kathkeb
on 4/26/11 6:13 am
I got rid of them --- I have 1 pair of jeans that do not fit me -- they are the last 'fat clothes' I bought before surgery -- and they serve as a reminder.

Everything else fits me --- there is no 'permission' to gain in my closet.

If I gain, I will either have to wear clothes that are too tight and uncomfortable, or go shopping.
that is why I am not interested in gaining.
Kath

Bubble S.
on 4/26/11 7:07 am
Good Question - and answers.

I had a very hard time getting rid of the fat clothes.  The funny thing is though " I really did not like most of them anyway" and I never really spent a lot on my clothes.  Walmart , Ross etc.  I did splurge on  a new winter coat (2 X) the winter before surgery.  It still has the tags on it.  That bugs me because it cost me $110.00. 

It took one night at Curves with my pants constantly falling down for me to get into the closet.  I spent one weekend sorting and bagging up the too big clothes.  They sat in bags in my closet for 1 week.  I then moved them to the top of the stairs.  Again sat for 1 week.  Moved them down into the garage where they sat for 2 weeks.  I finally bit the bullet and loading them into the car and called the local mission who came and collected them from my work. 

Now that I work for home most of my clothes are exercise outfits.    Spandex is a wonderful invention. 
 Remember, if you want to be a 155 pound person, you have to EAT like one. 
  View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Most Active