Going for a revision...

Delia Montalvo
on 4/27/11 6:00 am - San Antonio, TX
Well, it's been 5 years, 2 months since my lap band surgery (2/2/06)...I did well for the first 2-3 years, then I stopped loosing.  I sawDr. Seger about a year ago and asked for a revision and he asked that I give it more time.  Then about 3 weeks ago, I went to see him and asked for a revision again.  After trying to do a fill on me, he found that I was having a lot of reflux so he took out everything in my band.  He finally agreed to do the revision but he wants to do an EGD to see why I'm having reflux.  He asked me to decide which procedure I want, Vertical Sleeve or RNY.   He said results were about the same.  I was leaning towards the Sleeve, but I am not totally sure.   I also spoke with the patient advocate that stated my insurance will pay for the revision only I have to go through the 4 months of nutrition guidance, psych exam, and so on.  I had my first nutrition exam, my psych exam and a sleep study...so I am just waiting for final approval.  By the way, Dr. Seger stated that if he sees something unusual on my EGD that is causing my reflux, he will try to push the insurance to approve it sooner.  Let's hope.  But again, deciding which procedure.  I figured I did not much success with Banding, will sleeve be the same? 

By the way, I was at 234 at first, went down to 216 the day of surgery and now am at 195...still in a 14...but getting a little tighter.  There was not much weight loss, so that is why I want the revision.   
Delia Z. Montalvo
Stephanie M.
on 4/27/11 6:04 am
I see that you are in your 50's.  One of the issues for "mature" women is malabsorbtion can cause us to lose a lot of muscle and bone mass at a time in our lives when that is happening anyway.  If I were to revise, it would be to a VSG for that reason.

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 11:59 am - San Diego, CA
Sound advice, Steph...and I have to agree.  I would get the sleeve for sure.  To the original poster, good luck to you with your revision and please keep us updated on how you are doing.
Lisaizme
on 4/27/11 6:12 am - TX
I agree with Steph, I think malabsorptive surgeries are not a good choice for post-menopausal women.  But that is MY OPINION only.  Perhaps someone who has more personal experience can contribute more knowledge.

I do know that I'm in surgical menopause (post total hyst) and before losing weight.. my bone density in my hips was well over 100% (115 or so).   2 years after banding and losing 195 +/- lbs... my bone density in my hips is 95%.   Still good, but I wonder where it would be if I was malabsorbing ?

You might post on the VSG, RNY and Revision boards and get some opinions there too.

Best of luck to you whatever your choice.

Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Stephanie M.
on 4/27/11 11:12 pm, edited 4/27/11 11:12 pm
My doctor did not recommend that I get a malabsorbtive procedure because I am post-menopausal...

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Hislady
on 4/27/11 8:39 am - Vancouver, WA
Check out the VSG (sleeve) forum, there are ALOT of exbandsters over there. They all seem very happy with their revisions. I too would be leary of the RNY malabsorption, they can have some serious issues from it.
(deactivated member)
on 4/27/11 9:05 am - Califreakinfornia , CA
Sorry to hear about your complications with your band. I really hope I can get approved for a revision to the sleeve when we switch ins.
steelerfan1
on 4/27/11 12:02 pm
Im sorry you had so many problems :o( .  Not every surgery is for everybody and the real sad part is we dont know that till we actually have the surgery done and then its to late its done and over with.

I hope you find great success with the other surgery you want to get and you get the weight off.

That is all that matters anyways :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

melly37
on 4/27/11 3:06 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Good luck to you!!  I think the sleeve would be a great choice for you!!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Delia Montalvo
on 5/5/11 6:51 am - San Antonio, TX

THANKS TO ALL *****PLIED.  I AM GOING FOR THE GASTRIC SLEEVE.  I THINK THAT WOULD BE THE BEST CHOICE FOR ME AT THIS TIME.  I HAD THE ENDOSCOPY DONE ON TUESDAY, AND DR SAYS IT IS A GOOD THING THAT I REQUESTED THE REVISION BECAUSE OF THE REFLUX.  SO, I WILL CONTINUE MY JOURNEY WITH PREOP CARE.  I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH CARDIOLOGIST ON MAY 23 FOR A CARDIAC CLEARANCE.  SO...I'M ON MY WAY!  THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR GREAT COMMENTS AND SUPPORT.

Most Active