Lap-Band question

VeMa72
on 5/2/11 3:06 pm - CA
I recently went to orientation at Kaiser Fremont for weight loss surgery. After much research, I have decided on the lapband although the surgeon and Kaiser altogether are very resistant to it.  Although I've made up my mind, I'm curious as to how long is the longest anyone has had the lapband on for. Has it been successful for you? I see mixed reviews about it. Thanks!

Sangeeth11
on 5/2/11 4:07 pm, edited 5/2/11 4:07 pm
I have seen many people who had done lapband surgery and loss their weight.So I do not have adaubt about that.my  problem is thecosts of lap band.
http://lapbandsurgerycosts.org/
MARIA F.
on 5/2/11 4:57 pm - Athens, GA

Bette I think is the longest bandster on this forum if I'm not mistaken. She has had it about 7 yrs. and lost about 200 pounds. She looks amazing.

Keep in mind though that you will not see many long term successful bandsters on here. I would suggest you ask about bands on the RNY, DS and VSG forum also because u will find a LOT of former bandsters on there!

Good luck!

FormerlyFluffy.com

Ms. Cal Culator
on 5/12/11 6:03 am - Tuvalu

Longest time keeping it, yes...but Nicci and I both got our bands earlier.  

In any group of a hundred people, there are probably 2 or 3 sociopaths.  In a group of a thousand, more like 20-30.  They function very well in "affinity groups," where people have things in common and tend to trust strangers.  I am NOT saying not to trust anyone.  I AM saying that there are probably two dozen sociopaths hanging out here and looking for victims.  Most are NOT serial killers.

Read: www.sociopathicstyle.com/traits/classic.htm

marthabo
on 5/2/11 8:48 pm, edited 5/2/11 8:48 pm - Holland, MI
Well, yesterday was my fourth year anniversary from lap band surgery and i have lost 100 lbs. 
I have to plans to never have it removed.  It has been wonderful for me!

100 lbs. lost

as of 05/01/2011
Went from 230 to 130!

Lisaizme
on 5/2/11 10:22 pm - TX
I've had my band slightly more than 2 years and have lost 200 lbs.

If you'd like to talk to someone who's had their band a long time, there are two that I know of..

Cynthia on the DFWBandster list has had her's 10 years.  I think Cynthia also lost 200, don't know how fast and has maintained her loss.

And Jessie Ahroni on the SmartBandsters list has had hers either 11 or 12 years.  Jessie lost all her excess weight the first year and has maintained it ever since.

Make sure you chose a surgeon who understands how the band works and is supportive.  If you have one who won't treat you as a partner in this effort, your progress might be delayed.

The band isn't perfect for everyone, but for me it has been a great choice.  People who don't know I was banded think I had the RNY because I've lost so well.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Bette B.
on 5/2/11 11:51 pm
The longest HERE, or the longest in general? It was only approved for use in the US in 2001, but some other countries approved it much earlier than that.

That being said, I am one of the oldest old-timers: I had mine installed in 2003.

As for people's results, they can be hit or miss. There have been people like me who have done VERY well, a large group of people in the middle who have done well, and some people who have had nothing but problems. There seems to be NO rhyme or reason to why the band works fine in some people but not in others. But obviously, the people who have success are going to love it and the people who have had trouble will curse its very existence. I love mine, and believe that if I had had a different surgery I would NOT be as happy.

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

mum
on 5/3/11 1:44 am
 Lots of good answers.  I'm in the middle - I am happy with my band and have done fairly well - lost 90 (what I wanted to lose), had to have an unfill, gained some, have about 20 to go.  This after 3 years.  The part I didn't understand, and didn't even know to ask, was this:  what happens when it just stops working?  I had not had a fill for over a year, was at my "sweet spot," losing slowly but surely, then had a nasty bout of bronchitis over the winter.  Developed bad reflux etc etc will spare you the details.  Was worried that my band had slipped, but no.  An unfill "cured" all my symptoms, and I also discovered that even with two fills over the next 3 months, I could (and did) eat anything.  Just had a 3rd fill, and am hoping for some restriction.  If I can't get back to where I was, I may become one of those who ends up saying, "the band didn't work for me," although it truly did until it didn't.
Nic M
on 5/3/11 2:13 am
I had my lapband surgery in 2002 and had to have it removed in 2004, I think. It's kinda hazy, honestly. I felt so awful at the point I had it removed that everything's kind of muddled together.

I'm going to tell you straight out. If your surgeon and Kaiser are telling you they're against it, there is a good reason. My doctor told me last month that a lot of doctors are moving away from banding due to the amount of complications they cause. He told me, and I quote, "those things are an absolute nightmare and when they come out they can cause severe damage, too." I can attest. My band caused more damage to my body than I could have ever imagined.  I was told it was "reversible." And that's why I chose the lapband, mostly. It's not reversible at all. It's removable. And there's a BIG difference in definition there.

I would suggest that you keep researching (Revision forum, Failed, Complications, Regrets, etc) and think about how your doctor is trying to save you from a poor choice. I wish I could say it in a way that doesn't sound harsh and/or insulting, but honestly... the doctors who have seen the damage the bands cause are honestly trying to help.

Good luck to you with whatever you decide. Please take my words as trying to help because that's my sole intention.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Stephanie M.
on 5/3/11 3:54 am
I want to share my experience with you, and also put a disclaimer in...these are my experiences and do not reflect upon another person's choice of surgery or results.

Pro
s:

It is adjustable
It is removable
It keeps me feeling satisfied between meals for at least 4 hours.
I can change my diet to suit my current needs as I get older.  Malabsorbtive procedures do not allow for this...
It will not cause malnutrition in and of itself.  If you find you are too tight, you must take action quickly to reduce your amount of fill to avoid complications.
I can eat like a normal person in social situations with my band at optimal fill (for me) and get right back on my food plan for my regular meals.  I have never been faced with a situation where I could not eat anything, with one exception, in 11 months.

Cons: 

Post-op care can be a pain.  Because I have a Med-Advantage insurance plan and needed to follow medicare guidelines, there was only one hospital I could go to for care.  I had surgery in Seattle and see my doctor and PA in Federal Way a good hour and 20 min away.

When I travel to a warm and humid climate, I can have issues with tightness for a couple of days...now that I know what to expect, I am more prepared for it and plan accordingly.

It is a slower way to lose weight unless you are an exception or exercise addict.  I am neither, but I have lost almost 50% of my excess weight without excercise and without "dieting".  I eat pretty much what I want and socialize a lot.  I drink wine 2-3 times per week...

You will never feel "full" again the way you did pre-op.  This will require you to stop eating before you are "full"...if you keep eating to the point of discomfort, you will risk real complications, such as a slip or heartburn.  Learn your soft stop signs pre-op...a runny nose, cough or hiccup, for example and practice stopping when you first get the sensation.

The biggest con I have come across thus far is the abuse we bandsters take from a few of those who haven't had a good experience with their band, will constantly berate your choice of surgery with a vengance.  It honestly borders on bullying.  If you have had your band for 6 months and are happy, they will tell you it will eventually fail you...if you have had it 7 years, they will tell you to come back in another 7 years and bet you won't be so happy then...they honestly believe this and I don't hold their unhappiness against them, but once a person is banded and posts a question, they should not be told they will eventually fail and have their question answered.  If you have a thick skin, you will be fine, if not... I wouldn't let it deter me from my choice and WLS is not a way to win a popularity contest....

Some things to consider:

You will need to change your lifestyle to accomodate pre-op and post-op requirements.  This is a good thing...at least for me.  I have changed more detrimental habits in the last 18 months than I ever did in the previous 60 years. 

The following can be pros or cons depending on how you look at it:

You will need to be diciplined in measuring, weighing and logging your food intake to ensure you are getting enough protein and other nutrients and keeping your carbs and fat to a minimum.
You will need to drink at least 64 oz of non-caloric (water) beverages per day
You should not drink with meals or for at least a half hour after
To lose more than 1-2 lbs per week on average, you will need to exercise daily at least 30 min.
You should take a multivitamin daily
If you have a problem, your first resource should be your surgeon and staff, not an internet forum. 

There are some "complications" or "side effects" that can happen with or without any kind of WLS...these include but are not limited to:
Heartburn and GERD...ask to be tested for a hiatal hernia before surgery.
Constipation...less in, less out.
Noises coming from your stomach...before surgery most of us had pretty full stomachs...this might be the first time you are aware of "true physical hunger"
Lightheadedness...another way people who are naturally thin know they are hungry...

Most WLS will require you to cut your food into tiny bites and chew 15-25 times per bite and stop eating when you get a signal, runny nose, hiccup, cough etc.  If you overdo it, there will be consequences.

I hope this helps you and that you are successful with whatever surgery you choose..

Steph

6-7-13 band removed. No revision. Facebook  Failed Lapbands and Realize Bands group and WLS-Support for Regain and Revision Group

Most Active