I think I'm too tight.

JillNicole
on 5/3/11 10:04 am - Eldridge, AL
Hi.... I don't post here alot, but I'm beginning to have some issues.  So I thought I'd post.  I'm having terrible problems with severe acid reflux.  I'm over two years out from my surgery and haven't had a fill in over a year.  I've lost about 160 pounds.  I began to have some reflux problems last summer. My regular physician placed me on prevacid and it helped up until about a month ago.  It has stopped helping.  Actually nothing helps.  I wake up gasping from acid coming up in my throat.  Well if I don't eat anyting, it's acid. if I do eat or drink anything anywhere near bedtime, then it's drink or food that comes up my throat.  It's very scary and I've started spiking a low grade temp on the days that I wake up like this.  I'm sleeping on pillows and sometimes in a recliner, taking prevacid and prilosec, and not eating before bedtime..... still having this.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I've got an appointment with my surgeon on Thursday to possibly having a little bit of fill taken out.  I've never had to have any taken out.... only have about 6.25 in a 14 cc band.  Do not want to gain weight.... of couse, I can't go on like this either.
melly37
on 5/3/11 11:08 am - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Jill, I had to say this, but this is what happened to me when I had a slip.  If you have a slip, then maybe a total unfill and rest period will cure that.  For me, I had to have surgery to get my band re-positioned. 

I remember sleeping with as many pillows as possible....no fun! 

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Lifebeauty
on 5/3/11 11:46 am
Never had a problem sleeping but when I could not swallow my spit, then I knew I was too tight.  Pain, not sleeping and fever would definitely send me to the doctor. Hope all goes well.
Take care,

With  I will succeed.
HW: 280 - LW: 190 - GW - 180  
Unfilled 8/15/11 - WT:  209
1st Fill 11/29/11 - WT: 215.5 - 3cc
2/20/12 - New Goal - Get n Onederland
2nd Fill 4/26/12 - WT: 224.0 - 3cc
Z

JillNicole
on 5/3/11 12:28 pm - Eldridge, AL
Thank ya'll for responding. Yeah, I've thought about a slip too. Don't know what's going on, but I've definitely have got to get it fixed. Making me miserable.
anumrzvee
on 5/3/11 2:16 pm - PA
Hislady
on 5/3/11 2:26 pm - Vancouver, WA
Very glad you are seeing your doc because this is serious and can cause aspiration pneumonia or even death if you choke on this at night. An unfill should fix the problem but not always sometimes even with the best of care it causes removal of your band. Anytime you have reflux with the band it needs to be addressed ASAP because it can cause serious problems down the line.I wish you well and hope an unfill gives you relief.
(deactivated member)
on 5/3/11 3:14 pm
 OMG I had my band out two weeks ago and had the EXACT same problem. Towards the end I was getting no sleep at all because of the acid. Every 20 minutes I would wake up choking on acid.  I had a slipped band and the band was tightening on it's own. 

Basically no acid was going through the band and it was building up and when I would relax in sleep.. POP... it shoots up like a pressure chamber and wakes you up.  It didn't even matter if I was sleeping upright in a chair.  Antacids didn't help, maalox didn't help, not eating didn't help, the only relief I got was that when the acid was there I HAD to vomit it up. If I made myself throw up the acid I got some sleep.  The only reason I didn't mind throwing up is because I knew the band was coming out within a week and I felt that since I had a slipped band the damage was done... I NEEDED SLEEP.

The bad news for me is that I was completely unfilled and had this problem... luckily for you this may all be fixed by an unfill.  

Good luck.

melly37
on 5/3/11 3:50 pm - Rio Rancho, NM
VSG on 04/03/12
Ugh, yes......every time you drift off and think you can FINALLY get some sleep, you end up choking yourself awake.  That was so horrible and I pray that I never have to go through it again.  I wanted a revision then but my doc said I wouldn't qualify because I was no longer obese at the time.  Glad you got revised, good luck!

LapBand Surgery 01/10/08, Revison to Sleeve 04/03/12

Brandywyne
on 5/4/11 12:45 am - Abingdon, MD
A week ago I was experiencing the same exact thing and I thought it was a slip too(thank You Melly) But once I got to my appointment  a slight unfill stopped every thing I feel so much better.Hope this helps.

Most Active