Dizzy after protein shakes... anyone else?

Lisa H.
on 5/8/11 2:16 pm, edited 5/8/11 2:21 pm
WLS on 05/19/11
 Im on day 5 of my 2 week pre op full liquid diet. I am suppose to have about 60 grams of protein a day so Ive been drinking 2 protein shakes a day and after I drink them I feel SO icky and dizzy. Anyone else experience this? 

I should add this happens with all the brands of protein powder Ive tried. Ive used both milk and water to mix the shakes. I aim for about 20 g of protein per 2 cups of liquid. 

itsmichelle2you
on 5/8/11 3:58 pm - Louisville, KY
What kind are you drinking?
Lisa H.
on 5/8/11 4:10 pm
WLS on 05/19/11
Vcore from Complete nutrition, biggest loser brand and Bariatric Advantage. Ive been trying different kinds to see if I can avoid the light handedness. 

Lisa O.
on 5/9/11 3:01 am - Snoqualmie, WA
I didn't experience light headedness.  I wonder if it's the shakes or just your body adjusting to the extreme change in calories.  I would call the Nutritionist at your surgeons office. 
Does it only happen after you have the shake?  You can up the protein, and have a third shake.  Some people like the Carnation instant breakfast.  I doesn't have as much protein but you may find it more tolerable.  I also like the Atkins, pre-made shakes.  They come in a 4 pack and you can get them at Target and other places.  They have a mocha one that I enjoy in the a.m.

Hang in there and make sure you are getting 64 oz of water each day on top of your shakes.  It's amazing the difference once you start taking in that much hydration!

Best~
Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

-Mari-
on 5/9/11 8:27 am
Do you feel dizzy when getting up from a sitting or laying position? If so, you probably are dehydrated. Try upping your water. I had this and actually ended up fainting in the grocery store (not good). If not, I've never heard of getting dizzy from a particular food or drink, give Dr a call. Hope it gets better soon.
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Lisa H.
on 5/9/11 2:37 pm
WLS on 05/19/11
 I'm sure its not dehydration. I practically view my water bottle as an extra appendage. I drink about 100 oz a day. I feel dizzy about 10 minutes after drinking the shake and it lasts 2 hours or so. It wasn't so bad tonight. I tried drinking my shake slower but I still felt a bit icky. Trying to get my protein in through natural sources so I can cut down to few grams coming from whey powder. Are there other varieties of powder not whey do you know? 

Mags W.
on 5/9/11 10:45 pm
When I tried those protein "shots" (premixed in the vials?) about an hour/hour and a half later I was dizzy, shaky, and couldn't stand up without help.  My blood sugar had just completely bottomed out, and we're not entirely sure why or how it happened.  I would be mindful of how much protein you're getting in one drink.  This thing was 26g, twice what my usual shakes are, and I think it could have played a role.
Most Active