Why banding?

TraceyLL
on 5/25/11 12:12 pm - WV
I'm just starting my weight loss journey, so the question that's heavy on my mind is which procedure.  Why banding?  I need input from true people, why this choice?  Help me decide.......
Bette B.
on 5/25/11 12:41 pm
For me, it was simple. The band was and still is the ONLY procedure that does not remove a huge part of your stomach and/or cut and redirect your intestinal tract.
Gastric Bypass
GastricSleeve

Banded 10 years & maintaining my weight loss!! Any questions, message me.

Jo 1962
on 5/25/11 1:35 pm, edited 5/25/11 1:36 am - NearHouston, TX
Pretty much what Bette says goes for me. Before having WLS, I've undergone 20+ surgeries to mend crushed legs,and a broken hip and fighting off a major staph infection for over a year. Removing a large part of my stomach was simply way beyond my comfort level, as well as my husband's. He waited on me hand and foot after each of my surgeries so his comfort level was an important consideration. He would've rather I had done it the "old fashioned way" and not get WLS at all but he supported me getting the lapband after we both researched the different types. He's very happy with my success so far and it has greatly enhanced our marriage (25 years this October). The risks with the WLS's other than the lap band were too great. Because of the staph infection, very few antibiotics work for me now.

While my weight loss is slow, it IS steady and I'm learning good eating skills. Even with the plateau I just went through, I was still losing inches. I found out recently that my last fill was slightly TOO much so I just had an unfill of .5 cc. I was sliming too much when eating certain foods. I think I am "just right" now.

Research as much as you can....only you can decide whats best for you. Good luck!

5.0 cc in a 10cc lapband  (four  fills) 1 unfill of .5cc  on 5/24/2011.
.5 fill  March 2012. unfill of .25cc May 2012.  Unfill of .5cc June 2014.

Still with my lapband with no plans for revision. Band working well since

last small unfill.

HW: 267lbs- size 22-24  LW:194lbs  CW:198lbs  Size 14-16

anumrzvee
on 5/25/11 1:00 pm - PA
I chose the band because I wanted the least invasive form of WLS. It's working for me. I am down 40 lbs in 3 months!

Whatever you decide, please make an educated decision. Research every form of surgery and listen to any and everyone who will voice their opinions about why they would or would not have a particular surgery.

The band is my choice, and my sister had gastric bypass in March. She is really struggling with the after effects...on the other hand, one of my best friends had gastric and had little or no problem. So whatever you choose, do what YOU feel is best for you.

Sidenote: The chart posted by the first person *****plied shows the difference in surgeries. I hope all works out well for you!

ANUMRZVEE
  a.k.a  Von

-Mari-
on 5/25/11 1:02 pm
IMHO, You have to choose what is the right surgery for YOU. I would still choose the band. I've had no problems 2 1/2 years out, and I've just come to the realization that, to me, the band helps people keep off the weight, by teaching them, eat smaller portions, eat healthier foods, exercise. All weight loss surgeries do not teach you these things. Also, we can get fills, always. We have no "window of opportunity" or issues with vitamin deficiency or major food issues,(not all of us, of course) I feel it's the least invasive surgery and that is what "I" wanted. Good luck and research all you can!!
 Mari  Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels!
Hislady
on 5/25/11 1:39 pm - Vancouver, WA
I ask myself that everyday "Why in blazes did I waste my time getting this stupid band?" As you can tell I'm not a happy camper, I lost 25 lbs. pre-op and 20 lbs. the first year I was banded and that's it. Since the second year I've had constant problems with it tightening up all on it's own with no fill. My surgeons office said 20% of bandsters have this same problem the thing is you don't know it till after you get the band and then it's too late. I finally had mine emptied all together because it was just too uncomfortable to deal with daily. Personally if I could afford it I'd get a sleeve instead because it works the way the band is supposed to but doesn't always do. I would urge you to read about all the surgeries here on the OH forum and then make your decision. The four basic are the band, vertical sleeve gastrectomy, RNY and the DS. Good luck but do make sure you choose wisely because many insurance companies are limiting WLS to one per life time, so if you have to change surgeries you will have to pay for a second one yourself.
JEWEL6363
on 5/26/11 2:15 pm
I feel you on this... I ended up having my band removed in Feb.... I did GREAT the first 2 years was losing feeling great and then it HIT... i started having sick days all the time... went to my dr ...changed dr didn't work... a YEAR later finally ended up at the ER since i couldn't stop one day.... I found out i had Gall Stones over 1000....1000+ and my gall bladder was 3 times a normal size...I was told by the General Surgeon *****moved it that the Band dr both that i saw should of know this but Everyone wanted to tell me i was eating wrong or too much or that my band was too tight ... thought i would be ok after that... but the next 3 years were off and on Sick days I finally had it and my band was removed in feb ...my dr says he guesses my body just rejected it....
JEWEL6363
on 5/26/11 2:20 pm
OH and i did LOTS of research before ....the sleeve was not out when got the band ....but i may have went with that before the band...
Either way Read as much as you can and remember not everyone Ends up the same...
Good luck!
kathkeb
on 5/25/11 1:42 pm
I chose the Realize Band because I had no co-morbidities and was in good health, despite being 135 pounds overweight.

I researched my options (particularly as a self-pay patient) and decided that the band was the 'next right thing' for me to do.  I did not want to remove, or re-organize my digestive system.

Along with my band, I became active in OA and Weigh****chers -- learning to identify trigger foods and eliminate them, becoming accountabe to a weekly weigh-in and learning to journal my intake.

So far, I have exceeded my weight loss goal and have not had any negative side effects from the band.  I hope to have it with me for the rest of my life.

If it had to be removed (heaven forbid), I feel as though I have gained the skills necessary to maintain my weight loss without further surgical intervention.  Time will tell.
Kath

Jo N.
on 5/26/11 8:31 pm - Crawfordsville, IN
Research all your options & be fair & honest in your choice. Also I recommend reading Geneen Roth's "When Food Is Love". It will give you some great tools emotional wise to help w/whatever wls option you chose to have.

Good Luck!
Five+ YEARS WITH THE LAP-BAND( 8/31/05)
Highest Weight: 317/Surgery Weight: 267/Lowest Weight: 148
Currently Filled 1.4cc in a 4 cc band APBand
Panniculectomy w/psudeo TT proformed by Dr Bergman 10/8/2009
Need Help With Success? Read a Geneen Roth Book. "When Food Is Love!"

Most Active