A little discouraged

mamabinck
on 6/22/11 1:46 am - westville, NJ
So I had the lap band on May 23rd and I have lost some weight. I feel I am doing my part with exercise and watching what I eat, I do not have any restriction in my band and it is discouraging me. I realize this is a journey full of ups and downs but today I'm discouraged.
Hermosa L
on 6/22/11 2:16 am
restriction is a hard concept ... your band shouldn't prevent you from eating .. it's only to help you feel full.. after you eat are you full for 3-4 hours .. if you aren't then yes you need a fill... sometime think the band should only let you eat 3 bites then STOP you from eating.. that's not the case. Sometimes I wish the band was around my head so I would stop craving junk but that's not the case either.

I'm sorry you feel discouraged.. sometimes we need to keep our focus ahead and days like these will pass and in a month you will be thrilled to be down a few more pounds.. keep your chin up...
shellqueen
on 6/22/11 4:34 am - New Brighton, MN
Its great you have lost some weight since your main job has been to heal from the surgery! K
juliebeth
on 6/22/11 5:13 am
You're right, there are a lot of ups and downs on the weight loss road, but if you're exercising and watching what you eat, then you'll tend to have more ups than downs. Exercise was a HUGE component to me losing 180 lbs because I didn't always stick with my doctor's food recommendations (I'm a choco-holic)). By exercising, I've managed to keep the weight off for over a year, so definitely keep up with your exercise routine!

I would also recommend working with your doctor to adjust your band. I saw mine once a month for the first year and adjusted my band several times. Now I've been at a good place for over a year and haven't needed an adjustment. You should be able to eat 3-4 oz of food (lean protein is best) and not feel hungry for a few hours. If you're eating "soft" food, you won't stay full as long.

I hope the discouragement is short-lived. Remember, it's a process that doesn't ever go away but that becomes easier with practicing good habits. Also, it helps to find other ways to measure your success in addition to weight loss. Two and a half years after my surgery, I'm re-motivated by being able to by smaller sized clothes, fitting into airplane seats, and other successes that make me feel wonderful.

Good luck - you can do it!
mamabinck
on 6/23/11 7:46 am - westville, NJ
Thank you all for your help, I am much better today, I think I am ready for my first fill though and I will find out next Thursday. After I eat I am full for about 3 hours or so (actually full not what my head is telling me!) but since I have been on regular food I am eating less that what I used to but I still feel like I am eating more than I should before I feel full. The words of encouragement are wonderful and I am thankfull for my loss so far I think sometimes I lose track of my day to day successes and focus too much on how much farther I need to go. I will look at how far I ahve come the next time i get discouraged and it is helpful to know everyone is here cheering each other on!!!!
Most Active