my band sucks

Duck_Girl
on 6/28/11 11:03 am
I agree with you! I rocked the band for 3 years but 2 slips in a row and unable to hold down food after losing 113lbs and not having a fill in over a year..

Tools fail/break. Move on or revise.

I can tell you though I didn't gain some of the weight back following a diet plan.

brock2006
on 6/29/11 1:16 am
I am sorry you do not like the band.  But I would place most of the blame on your bad surgeon and his bad staff.
paulamill
on 6/29/11 2:43 am - South Africa
oh so sorry! I wanted to get the band and my doctor told me that it is a waste of time and recommended that I have the roux en y gastric bypass!! My go****s probably the best decision i've made in my life...other than being blessed with a gorgeous supportive hubby & 3 kids! Anyhow, I am post op 1 year now....I weighed in at 100kgs and am now 50 kgs (lost in 1 year)! I look 16 again!! I was size 22 and am now size 6. I am in South Africa so I am not sure how these would relate to you in pounds - but basically I am half the person! One thing I can suggest, forget about your bad decision (its milk spilt and you cant change it) - focus on saving more money and go for the gastric bypass - roux en y - your roller coaster of weight will not stop until u make a decision to the right directions!! I haven't exercised one day since the op, still eat what I like, albeit like a bird but I am healthy in every aspect and will never look back!! Good luck from South Africa.
Lisaizme
on 6/29/11 3:07 am, edited 6/29/11 3:08 am - TX
You cannot predict how much someone will lose with a particular WLS.. we're all individuals and all have different results.

If you haven't exercised, you're also losing muscle along with weight.  Your heart is a muscle.  Something to think about.

Kilogram is 2.2 lbs.. so you were 220 lbs and lost 110 lbs.      I was 383 lbs (174 kg) , lost 200 (90kg).  And I am still losing, albeit slowly.  Waste of time?  I think not. 

Your surgeon was like 2 other doctors I talked to.. who told me I would only lose 50lbs with the band.
I proved them and your surgeon wrong.
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Lisaizme
on 6/29/11 11:08 am - TX
On June 29, 2011 at 9:43 AM Pacific Time, paulamill wrote:
oh so sorry! I wanted to get the band and my doctor told me that it is a waste of time and recommended that I have the roux en y gastric bypass!! My go****s probably the best decision i've made in my life...other than being blessed with a gorgeous supportive hubby & 3 kids! Anyhow, I am post op 1 year now....I weighed in at 100kgs and am now 50 kgs (lost in 1 year)! I look 16 again!! I was size 22 and am now size 6. I am in South Africa so I am not sure how these would relate to you in pounds - but basically I am half the person! One thing I can suggest, forget about your bad decision (its milk spilt and you cant change it) - focus on saving more money and go for the gastric bypass - roux en y - your roller coaster of weight will not stop until u make a decision to the right directions!! I haven't exercised one day since the op, still eat what I like, albeit like a bird but I am healthy in every aspect and will never look back!! Good luck from South Africa.
by the way, I hope you're not really eating "like a bird"  ::: grin:::   unless you're as active as a bird.  :)

Most birds eat half their weight in food every day. That’s like a 100-pound person eating 50 pounds of food in a day. And some young birds eat more than their weight in food every day.

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/how-much-do-birds-eat
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Hermosa L
on 6/29/11 7:00 am
I gained 20 pounds when i lost my father last year but it was because I ate huge and I mean huge amount of cheetos and candy ...true story it was all that would slide down because of the stress I was tight.

I'm sorry your having problems and had to get an unfil but if your following the diet you shouldn't be gaining you need to make an appoinment with the doctor as the band doesn't prevent you from eating anything it only prevents how much you can consume.
mary101678
on 7/1/11 1:15 pm - RI
VSG on 07/10/12
It's easy to fall out of love with the band.  I know I've said it on other posts, but the band isn't foreveryone. It doesn't work the same for all people. There are more studies available now and it seems certain demographics do better with certain WLS procedures. Your surgeon's behavior is unacceptable, and you may want to consider a consult with another surgeon for a second opinion on your options.
I can understand you feelings completely, as I've lost very slowly so far and wish I had better information about which surgery was the best one for me. If I had to do it over, I would chose the Sleeve. But unless I'm having issues with my band, I certainly won't qualify. So, I'm resigned to live with the frustration and careful eating and exercise for now. But if this band becomes a problem, I would not hesitate to have it removed and undergo revision surgery!
Good luck, and I empathize totally with you.
Best,
Mary

doreentalbot
on 7/2/11 8:31 am - Brighton, CO
Sounds like you have already given up before you got started.  I changed doctors when I felt they did not help me.  I have lost 100 lbs with the band with very little effort.  Seek out better counsel.
Most Active