Eggs

Grider
on 7/11/11 9:13 pm - Clearwater, FL
First surgeon visit and my doc just put me on the 1000 cal diet, what I notice it is all fat free, I have 3 mo medically supv program prior to surgery,   I underatd the fat free for the liver thing...What I didn't see is any eggs or egg beaters and was wondering why, I can live off them and thought it was good protein.. anyone?
crystal M.
on 7/11/11 10:07 pm - Joliet, IL

I understand I am not formally educated in this stuff and who am I to be speaking out against a surgeon with years of edcation.  But I will anyway...I disagree with fat free diets.  There are many good fats to be included in a healthy diet.  I mean obviously we should cut out the bad fat but what about...nuts and avacados???  And Eggs eaten in moderation are very good for you.  I think that this diet is a bit extreme and doesn't prepare you to eat a healthy well balanced diet for the rest of your life. 

But of course this is just my opinion...you should follow your surgeon's instructions or at least question him.

Lisaizme
on 7/11/11 10:34 pm - TX
Does your surgeon have a nutritionist or dietician who works with him/her?  Maybe scheduling a visit with them would help.

Yes, some fats are healthy, but we need only a relatively small amt (IMO).  Like CM, I'm not a trained professional, so my opinion is worth almost nothing.. LOL.  

Good luck on your program! 
Lisa
"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." Reinhold Niebuhr

Grider
on 7/11/11 11:02 pm - Clearwater, FL
I think- the fat free and sugar free diet is in preparaton to the surgery. make my liver more pliable, maybe then I won't need 3 weeks of liquid milk shakes.??  He told me after surgery and healing, I can eat almost anything I want- just portion control and watch for things things I dont do well with.  So i was wondering if the egg is not good for a fatty liver?
steelerfan1
on 7/11/11 11:05 pm

The low fat and sugar free does prepare you for surgery .  When you start eating healthier your fat intake automatically starts to drop because you are eating much healthier foods .

To be honest I dont even worry about my fats because I dont eat that many fatty foods anymore so fat is my last concern .

Eat three healthy well balanced meals a day ,  carbs, veggies and protein and you will be just fine :o)

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

steelerfan1
on 7/11/11 11:02 pm
Like the others I'm not a professional at this but I think Fat Free things are ten times worse for you then eating the normal food.

when I go to the store I study fat free v/s reg and I will buy the reg.  Example cottage cheese. I will not buy Fat Free Cottage Cheese.

It's higher in sodium, usually higher in calories and they add more junk to it , to make it taste halfway even decent .

9 out of 10 times when it says Fat Free check the sodium content it will blow your mind and that is the worse thing for a person that is trying to lose weight is use to much of .

I dont agree with Fat Free diets or Fat free foods but that is just me .

As far as eggs I eat eggs probably 4 times a week . I make Egg/ cheese Mcmuffins for breakfast .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10

Grider
on 7/11/11 11:12 pm - Clearwater, FL
So you did nothing special to prepare for surgery? I have only 3 mo and want to be in best shape possible before they cut me. It seems it should help ?
steelerfan1
on 7/11/11 11:33 pm, edited 7/11/11 11:33 pm
I was self pay so I didnt have to do all these things you guys have to do for insurance like 3- 6 month  diets. 

For two weeks before my surgery I had 2 protein shakes a day and a low calorie dinner . I lost 10 pounds during them two weeks.

My doc only requires us to lose 10 pounds before the surgery , if we dont lose it then he wont do the surgery he will cancel it .   This is for his self pay patients . Insurance people make you do all these diets which I think is silly imo.

I did lose my ten but gained it all back due to my period starting the night before the surgery .

Quit Smoking
10/8/10

PaintingChef
on 7/12/11 12:43 am, edited 7/12/11 12:47 am - TN
My pre-op diet was a 2 week liquid diet.  My surgeon said that was the only way they've really seen to shrink the liver effectively.  I actually kind of liked the high protein liquid diet because I felt GREAT and losing those 15 or so pounds before my surgery was a great way to keep me encouraged and get my mindset where it needed to be. However I got off those shakes as fast as humanly possible because the contents are frightening.

Now.  As for the low fat foods...

I urge you to read the labels on all those low-fat and fat-free and so called "diet" or "health" foods.  There is no food in those foods.  They are full of chemicals and things that our bodies have no idea how to process.  I know, I know... I'm extreme.  But one thing I've learned with the MY experience (and this is just my experience, nobody else's) with the band is that I'm just going to eat. less. food.  So I've made a big effort to be certain that the food I am eating is the best for me that it possibly can be.  I don't anything with an ingredient that I can't pronounce.  I don't eat anything that makes health claims.  I don't eat anything that my great grandmother wouldn't have recognized as food.

Your body NEEDS fat.  It needs healthy fats that you will find in dairy, eggs, nuts, lean meats and fish, avocado, NATURAL foods with NATURAL fats.  (well... cheese isn't totally natural but I'm not advocating spray cheese here).  Eat vegetables.  Fruits.  Stop eating foods that come in boxes and make health claims.  You are making a huge step forward with having surgery.  You are doing something wonderful for yourself.  Congratulations!  But don't stop there.  Do some reading.  Read labels.  Read books.  Educate yourself.

If you want somewhere to start, I HIGHLY recomend "In Defense of Food", "Food Rules" and "The Omnivore's Dilemma" all by Michael Pollan.  "Food Politics" by Marion Nestle and "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle" by Barbara Kingsolver.  Those books and the movie "Food Inc." changed my life in conjunction with my Lap-Band surgery.

I don't mean to be preachy.  We all find things that work for us.  But when I see people start to rely solely on manufactured diet foods, I cringe.  There is no food in that food.  No nutrition.  Nothing natural and from the earth.  It is air and chemicals and preservatives and sodium and fairy dust.

But this is just ONE way of doing things.  It's the way I've found and what works for me.  There are plenty of people on this board who have changed their diets completely to revolve around those low fat and fat free and low carb and low sugar foods and they have LOADS of success.  I don't want to discount what works for anyone else.  This is what works for me and what I'm happy with.  However I also love to cook.  I love to garden and grow my vegetables and herbs.  I am 100% willing to spend more money on local, organic, grass-fed meats and sustainable seafood.  I thrive on meal planning and scouring cookbooks and the internet for recipes and ideas.  That's fun for me, it's what I like to do.  So many people don't have the time, interest or resources for that.

So whatever you decide to do, good luck.  I went way off topic and I'm sorry.  To answer your originial question... eggs.  Yes.  Good protein.  Go forth and scramble.
My blog:  PaintingChef

(deactivated member)
on 7/12/11 12:44 am
My nutritionst is absolutely against fat free foods -- unless of course they are healthy foods that are naturally fat free like fruit or veggies. She doesn't want me eating ff "cheese, sour cream, etc because they have a ton of weird ingredients and more usually more carbs. But, it this is a special, limited time diet I would probably go with it. I'm surprised about the eggs. They are a good source of protein and therr are nutrients besides fat in the yolks that the human body uses. I have some at least 1x a week.
Most Active