1st fill tomorrow - what can I expect?

heathercross
on 7/19/11 11:15 am - New York, NY
I had my lap band on 6/23 and for reference I had my RNY on 8/15/2002. I already feel restriction. What will tomorrow be like and the dats thereafter? I am holding T 21lbs lost and the scale hasn't moved in like 10 days.
kathkeb
on 7/19/11 11:27 am
At my fill appts, I got signed in, had my BP and weight taken by a PA.
Then, I met with the surgeon and we discussed my progress, how things felt to me.

If I was getting  a fill, I laid down on the table, he swabbed my port site --- stuck in a needle and added the fill --- felt like getting an injection -- fast, easy, realtively painless.
Bandaid - then, sit up, take a big swallow of cold water and see how it goes down.

If it seemed to hang up in my throat, he would re-inject (while I stood up) and pull out a little fluid

Home -- fluids the rest of the day --- on to regular food carefully and slowly the next day.

Easy, breezy, mac-n-cheesy!!!!  (without the mac!)
Kath

heathercross
on 7/19/11 11:33 am - New York, NY
Thanks. I don't like needles but am used to them after 2 WLS surgeries and plastics so m hoping it wouldn't be that bad. My surgeon refunded 2 days of liquids then 2 days of pureed after fills. So, you are saying I will know right away if it's too tight?
steelerfan1
on 7/19/11 11:31 am, edited 7/19/11 11:32 am

Are you exercising, are you eating to many carbs, are you drinking your water, are you measuring your food, are you writing down everything you eat no matter what it is ?  is your calories to low. ? Believe it or not , not enough calories will stall a weight loss also .

And you are going to have stalls. The lap band is so much slower then the RNY .   There are times I will go two weeks not losing anything drop a quick 6 pounds in two weeks and not lose again for another two weeks sometimes 4 weeks.

Quit Smoking
10/8/10
Starting BMI  52.9  BMI now  44.4        updated  6/6/11

heathercross
on 7/19/11 11:38 am - New York, NY
No I don't measure my food or keep a journal ut having had WLS surgery before, I know I need 60-100 g of protein a day and I know I'm not getting that bc I'm not hungry and I get full very, very easily. Ys, I exercise. I live in manhattan so I walk 5+ moles per day. I can't or haven't been given clearance to do more yet bc I also had a hernia repair and I'm not even a month out yet.

Also, I don't eat carbs, just protein and I don't drink water but I drink decaf ice sun tea.
looking4hope
on 7/19/11 12:52 pm
I go next Tuesday and I was told I would be doing a barium drink.  I had the 10 day stall also then dropped 2 and I am like a week ahead of you. Now with my cycle back up 2. Good luck let me know how it goes
Highest 317 6/1 start pre-op diet312 6/15 2 days before surgery303 6/22 5 days post-op296  6/28 11 days post-op  290 7/5 18 days post-op 288 8/19 10 weeks post-op 278 9/10 274 11/6 268 2/18 257 3/26 249 5/14 237

kruzn70
on 7/19/11 1:24 pm

My office sticks to the 6 wk recovery before any fills.  I went in Friday to get a small fill(half of 1CC) and they were unable to locate my port.  I had a large hematoma at port site so that may have been a contributing factor to the lack of access.  They were able to remove some blood and have rescheduled me for August 5th for an X-ray fill.  I had almost felt really disappointed when they couldn't do it because I have been hungry lately.  Then I reminded myself that this is a marathon and not a sprint.  The band is simply a tool but I have to do the work.  I am down a new pound today which makes me very happy since i have been at a stall and even gained a few pounds the last 10 days. 
I wish you the best tomorrow and hope it is easy peasy:-)  21 pounds is awesome!  Congratulations and good luck!

heathercross
on 7/19/11 9:11 pm - New York, NY
Trust me, I actually like the slower weight loss of 1-albs per wek but do get frustrated when they don't cme off when I and exercising. I, too, have gained a lb and lst a lb a lot the past 10days to net out nothing! I remember the 10 lb weight loss per week when I had my RNY, I'd lose 6lbs overnight, lol.

I'm just anxious to have permission to do full exercise. I have full energy back even in this heat and would like to get my as back to the gym. With the RNY a lot of my initial success was the 5 days per week I worked out.
Angi
vanIwaarden-Garcia

on 7/19/11 2:02 pm - Alamosa, CO
 Heathercross, 
I felt restriction right away as well.  So you will just feel more... If you are concerned that you DON'T need a fill yet, make sure to address that with your doc or NP, whomever you see.  A 10 day stall isn't that big of a deal, but discuss that with your doc as well.  I have been banded for almost a year and have yet to have much pain during a fill, so I wouldn't worry much about that.  Keep us posted!
Angi vanIwaarden-Garcia
Have Fun, Learn Much, and Celebrate!
Surgery Date 8/13/2010
Heaviest Weight 256
Current Weight 156

heathercross
on 7/19/11 9:12 pm - New York, NY
Anti, thanks. Was very curious to see if a fill hurt. I'll check back without you all later.
Most Active